Macadam drive - Question

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Lockhands

We have just taken possession of a new build Bungalow in Leicestershire which has a macadam drive which is about 50ft x 15ft to it's extremities. We have been very happy with the property in general with exception of the drive which we believe to be “unfit for purpose�. This is because during some hot weather in June I turned my Estate Car around on the drive and caused Scuff marks and surface breakup in about 8 places. In a discussion with the Builder I was informed that this problem was a normal occurrence in the those conditions and when a car is turned with front wheels on the spot.

We took possession on June 14th 2017, well after the Building and Driveway had been completed and reported the problem to the Builder on the 24th. July so the Drive had been laid for more than one month, more than enough time for the “binder� to cure, I would would have thought reading your documents.

We were given no advanced warning about this possible problem.

Firstly I would like to ask if you feel this is a suitable type of surface if mixed and laid correctly to normally withstand this type of use? Or is it a fact that these marks and abrasions are to be acceptable with Drives of this type?
What is a fair time for this sort of problem to be faced either now or in the future?
How do we stand if no prior warning has been given about this possible problem?
C. Reilley

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

power steering hot weather and new bitmat are a constant theme on here
Dave L will be along shortly or Bobbi O but AFAIK bitmac and power steering is a no no
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Lockhands

OK thanks that tells me what is wrong, but what about the specific questions I asked about?
In this particular case I was not responsible for laying the Drive or warned that that this might happen before using the Drive.
C. Reilley

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

it sounds like you are going down the legal route,I wasnt involved with the installation or advice given, so it really is between yourself and the contractor.
its a shame as bitmac done right is a great surface,but this hot weather and power steering issue turns up time and time again
good luck
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Lockhands

Thank you for your interest. At no point did I ask for Legal Advice, just an expert opinion.
If you are not prepared to answer the simple questions I asked without predudice, then please say so and I will drop this thread.
C. Reilley

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

the bitmac guys I mentioned are better qualified than me to answer the technical side, but the first thing they will ask is what specification was the drive laid to?
what was the binder layer ? thickness etc etc
my stance is
yes bitmac is a great surface for driveways if installed correctly

and no I would not be happy with scuff marks on what is basically a new drive
LLL :)

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

jwill

Who comes on a forum, with nothing to offer in return and responds so rudely to good meaning advice?!

Lockhands

lutonlagerlout wrote:the bitmac guys I mentioned are better qualified than me to answer the technical side, but the first thing they will ask is what specification was the drive laid to?
what was the binder layer ? thickness etc etc
my stance is
yes bitmac is a great surface for driveways if installed correctly

and no I would not be happy with scuff marks on what is basically a new drive
LLL :)

Lutonlargerlout, I am very greatful for your last answer as it helps me as a layman to understand where I stand in relation to this problem.
As I explained I do not expect to use any information offered on this forum in any legal way whatever. As I understand it anyway, there seems to be no national body that can be approached by the Layman dealing with problems of this sort, so as you say it's matter between me and the Builder.
Yes I would agree that in order to investigate my claim of the Drive being "unfit for purpose", I would need to prove that the material and/or the method of laying it were at fault. Now as I did not organize the laying of the drive or had any control over it being laid, this is most difficult to ascertain, apart from which as the information given on this Website states, it would probably cost more than getting the Drive relaid, which would be beyond my finances.
So I thank you for your answers and I am sorry if I have troubled you.

C. Reilley.
C. Reilley

Dave_L
Site Admin

Turning of the steering wheel whilst stationary on a new macadam surface is to be avoided at all costs, otherwise scuffing will occur. Especially so in hot weather like we had for a short time in June.

From what you say, you've done it 4 times, didn;t you think of the potential damage after the first time?

However, I agree, you should have been warned about the potential pitfalls with a suitable leaflet, like I do.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

Lockhands

Dave_L wrote:Turning of the steering wheel whilst stationary on a new macadam surface is to be avoided at all costs, otherwise scuffing will occur. Especially so in hot weather like we had for a short time in June.

From what you say, you've done it 4 times, didn;t you think of the potential damage after the first time?

However, I agree, you should have been warned about the potential pitfalls with a suitable leaflet, like I do.

Well Dave, the problem for me was that the drive narrows off markedly at the top end and with my Estate Car it leaves little room to maneuver and forces "several 3 point turns" just to turn round. Currently to avoid the problem, I have to reverse all the way up the Drive, which is a real bind.
And no I did not think this was going to be a problem as it has never happened before to me or anyone else I know in the last 60 years of my driving experience.
With regard to "new macadam", the drive had been laid at least a month based on my dates already given and in fact I see from my records that we did indeed view the property on May the 20th, which according to that makes it 3 months before I informed the builder which is when it appeared. This does not take into account how long the property had been put on the Market with an Estate Agent, which in fairness could have been months before that. Is that in a "new" category?
As a matter of interest the Builder told me and my wife (before we used the drive for my traffic) that delivery's by his Contractor's Lorries had been made using the same driveway up to the time when the Property was sold and they had not caused any problem with the wear and tear.
The marks which I made were in fact done in one operation (two separate turns), whilst the others (which were on the road side of our Security Gate) were made by someone else, presumably turning around using our drive entrance onto the main road. I had no involvement in those last marks.
The other thing is the Builder provided a "spur" at the top of the drive on which a car can be parked. As this was in use at the time with my wife's car, I could not use that to ease the turning area. Sod's Law!
As most modern vehicles are fitted with power steering, is this a common problem? If so would it not show itself on Public Car Parks and the like, where turning into spaces with very limited room be evident?
I am grateful for your input anyway.
C. Reilley.
C. Reilley

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

its luton-lager-lout not larger- lout :;):
this problem seems to arise more when people have no choice but to spin the wheel while stationary
its a shame as bitmac is a great surface when laid correctly and broken in as per Dave's leaflet
is it falling apart or just scuffed?
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Dave_L
Site Admin

Some photos of the areas of concern would be great!
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

seanandruby
Site Admin

lutonlagerlout wrote:its luton-lager-lout not larger- lout :;):
If on doubt call me lout :;): :)
sean

Lockhands

lutonlagerlout wrote:its luton-lager-lout not larger- lout.
this problem seems to arise more when people have no choice but to spin the wheel while stationary
its a shame as bitmac is a great surface when laid correctly and broken in as per Dave's leaflet
is it falling apart or just scuffed?
LLL
Dear luton-lager-lout,

Sorry for the wrong title.
I am attemting to send 'photos to Dave's posting with which you should see "after" and "previous" shots. In my view it has broken up the top surface in several places, irrepairably without showing the repair!

Thus my claim "unfit for purpose"

Chris.
C. Reilley

Lockhands

Dave_L wrote:Some photos of the areas of concern would be great!

Dear Dave,

I have some 'photos which I could send but I am not aware of any method used when posting to a Forum.
Any suggestions?

Cheers,

C. Reilley.

PS here is a link to my One Drive to download photos:-
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlDbYKkB_jD2gzOf7aR2b0XlcH8o.
Hope this works for you.
OR try this one:-
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlDbYKkB_jD2gzM10c4HLACEKLn4
The first 4 pics are prior to the problem.
Hope they appear clearly enough for you - they might require enlargement to see all detail.
C. Reilley