14mm granite for gravel driveway

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Muncher

Hi chaps, I'm after a quick bit of advice, have been reading this site for a long time but only needed to ask a question!

I am doing my own driveway, as the last part of the building of my house and garage. I want gravel as I think it looks quite good, is good from a security point of view and reasonably cost effective.

I have 263m2 to cover and have already largely prepared the sub base, which is at least 100mm compacted type 1 over a woven membrane, which has been in place for about 2 years now, it is getting a further 20 tonnes spread on it next weekend to fill in any gaps between larger material and perfect the levels, this is being compacted by a ride on compacter.

The question I have is about the size of the granite chippings. This site suggests 20mm, but I cannot find anywhere around me that can supply granite in 20mm pieces, it is all 14mm, from every supplier.

Naturally the suppliers assure me this is what everyone uses and I have got a bucket full of it which I am going to spread to about 40mm and test but my concern is it getting stuck in car tyres and shifting, particularly as one of my cars is a 4x4 and the other has very sticky semi slick tyres.

Is anyone able to offer any experience here?

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I have used 14mm angular granite chippings before with success
you only want them around 30-35mm thick in depth
for some reason i recall they were a red colour
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE