Can i use kiln dried sand with sandstone setts?

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
rolysatch

hi

i'm thinking about options for my driveway and i wouild like to use sandstone setts. my only worry is oil stains. can i bed stanstone setts in wet concrete but then use kiln dried sand - with narrower joints as opposed to pointing so that should the need arise i can replace them easier? or even lay them even on sand like the concrete block paving? failing that is it easyish to break out stained blocks and relay using the resin based jointing compounds and get an in visible repair?

any advice appreciated?

edit: i've just read the setts pages on the site and see i can lay them like concrete block paving which answers my question. thanks

rolysatch

if i did lay them like concrete block paving i'm assuming that they need to be all the same thockness or can you lay 40-60mm thock on sand?

seanandruby
Site Admin

Always upgrade sub base not bedding. A uniform bedding is best.
sean

rolysatch

seanandruby wrote:Always upgrade sub base not bedding. A uniform bedding is best.
hi sean

thanks for the reply. what i meant was, a lot of the sandstone setts are varying thickness e.g. 40mm to 60mm thick. As you lay block paving on a flat screed of sand, does that mean to lay them like that you would have to find some setts that are regular even thickness or is it possible to lay them like block paving still if varying thickness?

seanandruby
Site Admin

You would have to lay each one individually
Sort them so you have rows of same thickness rather than one thick one thin. Would be ideal and a lot easier to have one size as could compact at varying degrees
sean

rolysatch

thanks for the advice. yes same thickness would definately be better, its just the only ones like that were quite a bit more expensive. but i'll keep looking,