Bonded vs bound gravel - Which is best for a 350msq driveway?

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Rez

I'm leaning towards the bonded option as it seems to look a little less 'artificial' than the bound surface and my understanding is that it would be considerably cheaper - an important consideration when I have 350 sqm to cover.

Am I making the right decision? Is bonded gravel good enough for my purposes or should I save up the extra cash to go for bound gravel?
If so, is it possible to have bound gravel that doesn't look like plastic (as many of the driveways around here seem to look?

My drive is currently covered in asphalt (this in turn was covered in loose gravel, that has been scooped up and left piled in a corner). My contractor has had to dig several trenches into the existing asphalt and excavated around the entire driveway to widen it. He now wants to fill the trenches and surface the areas that have been excavated. Is there an optimum way to do this if I'm planning on having bonded gravel laid?

My drive in a slope however, I understand that there are regulations requiring me to provide drainage. Any advice on the best way to achieve this?

Anyone able to recommend any contractors (or themselves) in my area (West Malling, Kent)?

Any advice on how I can vet a contractor to ensure he isn't a cowboy?
Rez

Nigel Walker

Rez

You are correct that Resin bonded will be a lot cheaper.
But it is a far less superior product than Resin Bound and will not last long at all. You will have bare patches and loose stones in no time at all - especially where you turn your wheels !
Contact SureSet, they will have an installer in your area.
They are providing an 18 year guarantee for their product, which is pretty good.

I am an Elite Approved Installer for SureSet. I am based in The Lake District and I have been using SureSet for 2 and a half years. I have not had one single problem and my drives do not look plasticcy at all.

Good luck
Nigel

Rez

Thanks for the recommendation Nigel, I'll be calling SureSet today. Perhaps they'll give me a discount for 350 sqm - cost is the primary reason I'm considering 'tar and chip' and bonded options.

Regards

Reza
Rez