Help! type 1 sub base turned to porridge

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
greenfingers

lemoncurd@18:43 Saw your post after I replied with this:-
That is food for thought. Would a 40mm base course work as a usable surface? My main bugbear with gravel is the detritus (mostly leaves from our numerous trees and free ranging chicken shit). I would so love to be able to sweep up the crap that otherwise finds it's way through the front door.

Actually, the main reason I haven't shelled out £10k for someone to do the whole job is probably less about cashflow and more about me being a tight-fisted control freak!

What about putting down road scalpings and then in a year or so overlay it with bitmac? I'd prefer to have anything that can be raked or swept instead of gravel.

lemoncurd@18:50:- Maybe that was why he was keen on doing a cash job (no Vat).

lemoncurd1702

Road plannings provide a good usable surface and with some hot weather it re-sets. Not sure if it's good enough for overlaying with a wearing course. Probably wouldn't work out much cheaper than what your guy is offering if he will do it with base.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

Dave_L
Site Admin

40mm of AC10 is way too thin - the minimum I would expect would be 70mm of AC14 if you are going to do the job in one coat.

We do a few like this where the budget is tight, it's a good compromise.

The only situation where we'd lay AC10 is on surfaces that are to be resin-bound, in an open-texture material at 60mm thick.

We used to do a few just basecourse jobs but I find the bitumen content of binder is low and unless it is machine laid, it can segregate and become lose.

Your 300m2 at 40mm thick will take around 25t of material, whereas to do it properly would be nearer to 40t......
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

greenfingers

Thanks Dave, I have called off the job for the time being.

In the meantime, it would be great to hear from anyone who might be interested in doing the work. I will probably wait another month or so before regulating the area properly and then block pave 60m2 of it. If tarmacing the rest is still not viable, then I'll have to put some shingle down instead.