This permeable paving.....

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
ambient

just been on the marshalls suds course it explained quite a lot about legislation and the ideas behind it all, :D
ambientdriveways.co.uk ambientexcavations-bolton.co.uk

adpandy

the new legislation refers to all hard standing areas that run adjacent to the street and could cause run off water to run into the over burdened sewer systems.

Planning is required for all works over 5 m2 be it on new or existing drives / gardens.

exception to this is when you use SUDS approved systems such as the recycled plastic cellular systems that have load bearing strengths on the right sub base very close to concrete.

Good ethical suppliers will have detailed build up advice for their products and these include using the correct sub base dependent on your own ground conditions, i.e. more sub base when on clay, less when on a free draining firm sub soil.

check out adpsurfacesolutions.co.uk

Tony McC
Site Admin

The above is not quite right. I suggest you read the FAQ to get a fuller understanding of what the new legislation actually requires.

There is no such thing as "Suds approved systems". Suds is a technology, not an approval body. Suds compliance is not an approval: it's just a method of drainage that looks to minimise the impact on sewers and other off-site infrastructure.

I've no idea what the phrase "the right sub base very close to concrete" is supposed to mean.

Please don't advertise on this site. Recommending products that might offer a solution to a particular problem posited by another member is all well and good, but unsolicited plugging of your own products will just convince people to steer well clear of your company as well as running the risk of having your posts deleted by the moderators and/or your membership cancelled. All this is explained in the small print to which you signed-up when joining the Brew Cabin.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Asbury

You go Girl.

(disclaimer, Tony is not a girl, he's a proppa butch man and he drinks beer)
One Life Live it!!

rab1

I`m currently dealing with a large project in central Scotland, the builder is a multi national, same initials as the boys brigade, hospital, permiable paving every where 2000m plus, 800mm down under the paving/base etc there is a layer of DPM polythene, is this normal.
God loves a tryer

rab1

was on this site today again, they have laid a green woven sheet (normal thing you see is white) under the laying course, mot 1 and then the large stones and at the bottom the polythene is still there. is there a reason for this?
God loves a tryer

Tony McC
Site Admin

Rab - it may be a tanked system (officially known as System C) where the surface water is stored or re-directed to another suds installation.

See this page for further confusion

rab1

it will never be called light reading, thats for sure. :)
God loves a tryer

haggistini

Hi tony nice to see the revised guidelines on permeable paving. They seem to have taken heed of your submission thank god. It still seems that they are still vague on the methods and if scrutinized there are more loop holes than an MP’s expenses application form.

“
Guidance on the permeable surfacing of front gardens

What to look out for
• the soil below the driveway or rain garden must be “sandy or gravely (not clay)�
otherwise a connection to the drains may be required. This can be checked by a simple
test (See Interpave guide to responsible rainwater management around the home).�

So If a building inspector questioned the permeability of a drive way that has been installed the old fashioned way and surface water was directed in to existing drains without out prior planning permission gained, then you could simply inform him or her that the subsoil was to “clayey� hence the existing drains were used not to cause flooding or water logging, would they then ask to rip it up and retest the area at who’s expense or just take your word for it. Also the drawings and illustrations in the guidance are way below your standard (PAVINGEXPERT.COM) and are not detailed enough to provide adequate installation guidance to anyone who happens to come across them, i.e. non forum members DIY’ers and contractors alike. I believe there will many huge problems and court cases for people in the future due to uninformed public, contractors and building inspectors dealing with this .It was right to be addressed but a little more thought and discussion wouldn’t have gone amiss .This isn’t going away and will certainly reduce the amount of work out there, I think we need to push forward with the training that’s available as it will only be the contractors qualified who will get the work in years if not months to come.
http://www.G-Tech.co
Bespoke Paving Contractor
M:07944036174

Less yap yap more tap tap!

Tony McC
Site Admin

Where's that quote from, H?

haggistini

Tony McC
Site Admin

I'd forgotten about that revised document, which is a serious contender for "Most Low-Profile Publication Of The Year". I think they were hoping no-one would notice what a FU the previous incarnation had been, but even this leaves much to be desired.

It came out just before SED and I had intended to write summat for the site, but then with SED plus a number of active project management jobs on the go, it got forgotten. If I get the time (and the inclination) I'll update the info on the main site.

irishpaving

New draft legislation will make sustainable drainage systems (SUDS) mandatory on all new developments within 2 years, and use of concrete block permeable paving – the most versatile SUDS technique – is set to grow rapidly to satisfy this requirement.

Is planning permission mandatory now, Do you have to notify authority if doing a drive
"I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons."

haggistini

no planning is needed if suds are used planning is required if suds are not used. ground conditions will still dictate what suds to be used even if permi blocks are a versatile option, the question still remains are building inspectors/contractors trained enough to decide on the correct suds used for a given job and could you be sure of the job done is going to manage the run off

irishpaving

So while i am advising a possible client of new procedures and quoting them up for a permable drive, in slips a rougue & does the drive as impermable and cuts the costs in half to win the job over.

So am i the bigger idiot then
"I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons."