Asphalt / bitmac as an edge restraint

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
LeroyMakins2018

I am wanting to add a clay brick paver transition between the asphalt road and our gravel driveway. The driveway uses TrueGrid Pro Lite for stabilization and rock containment.

The edges of the transition area are 4" thick sandstone reinforced with paver edging strips and 8" edging spikes.

The asphalt road is slated to be repaved in ~10 - 15 years. We live on a cul-de-sac and so the asphalt road is curved.

Here is the general idea:
Driveway Transition Image

While I have several questions, my biggest one is how to handle the asphalt as an edging.

From what I've read my plan is to saw-cut the asphalt in a straight line from one edge to the other and install a soldier course bedded in ~50 mm of concrete.

Any other suggestions or considerations would be appreciated.

Thank you

Tony McC
Site Admin

The TrueGrid product is not something that is used in Britain and Ireland so I'm assuming you are in North America, where installation methods are very, very different to what we are familiar with over here.

However, because asphalt (what we would refer to as tarmacadam or bitmac) is relatively fluid, even when cold and set hard, it makes a poor edge restraint. In effect, your soldier edge course will act as the edge restraint, although the reliance on a concrete bed might not be suitable, depending on just whereabouts you are in N.America - anywhere with frost heave in the winter is likely to need an alternative 'ground spike' form of restraint.

You also need a soldier edge against the TrueGrid cells - they are nowhere near strong enough to restrain the panel of 45° herringbone pavers - so, hoevere it is constructed, that soldiier edge neds to enclose that entire panel.

Does that make sense?
Site Agent - Pavingexpert