Mixed sizes better? - Will mixed size blocks look better?

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
earthwagon

I'm doing some paths in my back garden with block pavers - basically, round the (rectangular 12 x 8 ft) greenhouse and another path joining at a right-angle. The blocks come in 3 lengths, 100mm, 134mm and 200mm, all 134mm width, but the supplier does not do mixed packs, so for mixed sizes I'd have to buy 2 or 3 packs. I think the result would look better/more interesting with mixed sizes. Agreed? But will they be particularly tricky to lay? And if I only bought 2 packs, which would be the better size combo?

Tony McC
Site Admin

Apologies for being late to this - had all sorts of health issues with angina during the heatwave and now an arthritic knee that is driving me mad with pain.

It depends on the width of your paths.

If you go with, say a standard width of 950mm (ish) that would take 7 of the 134mm blocks (plus jointing), so one edge course to each side, then a simple transverse stretched bond, with a half block starting and ending each alternate course, would look absolutely fine.

Of course, if you go with the 200x134mm blocks, adjust the width accordingly and lay the edge coure block lengthways.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert