Joints were still damp... - Kiln dried sand on damp blocks

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
SB1066

Hello,

Firstly thanks to everyone for all the accessible advice on the site and also this forum. I have managed to lay a fantastic natural stone drive attributed to info on here.

I have been waiting for some dry weather to sand the joints on my flexible block paving. I brush in the sand, it was going very well, trickling in to all the joints, I then ran the compactor over the section and noticed some of the sand in the joints was then moist, the blocks must have been retaining moisture due to their porosity. Is this a MAJOR problem or can I just leave it, wait for a longer dry spell, top up and compact again?? I’m in no rush to use the drive, I’d rather it was right.

Many Thanks
SB1066

Tony McC
Site Admin

Sorry for the delayed response - been in hozzy for a few days (NOT virus related!)

It's all too common a problem, and shouldn't lose you any sleep unless you have a poorly-draining laying course which is acting as a reservoir for surface water.

Let the surface dry, add more sand, and repeat ad nauseam until it all settlles down
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

SB1066

Tony McC wrote:Sorry for the delayed response - been in hozzy for a few days (NOT virus related!)

It's all too common a problem, and shouldn't lose you any sleep unless you have a poorly-draining laying course which is acting as a reservoir for surface water.

Let the surface dry, add more sand, and repeat ad nauseam until it all settlles down
Hi Tony,

I hope you’re on the mend now!

Thanks for the reply. I have done just that - I left it for 2 dry days, topped it up and whacked it again in every direction. Looks great. I’ll just keep my eye on it and probably do the same again when/if we have another dry spell!

Cheers
SB1066