Repair damage to granite sett parking spaces - Should we change materials?

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
jamescrosierplace

Hello all,

I have a real novices set of questions and am looking for some advice. I live in a shared development in which four houses each own a parking space, laid down with 100 x 100 x 50 mm granite setts using a wide 20 mm jointing.

While only four years old, these parking spaces have begun to deteriorate rapidly - largely due to stationary turning, as each of the spaces is typically used for parallel parking. While we should not doubt improve our driving ;-) I'm thinking this shouldn't happen if the setts were either the right material, or laid appropriately?

We urgently need to repair these spaces, as the size of the damaged areas is growing as the setts begin to destablise each other through their motion.

My question really boils down to this - is a 50 mm deep sett too shallow for a standard domestic parking space, or is the problem likely to lie in what appears to the a very wide jointing (about 2 cm) and a mortar that looks to be extremely sandy. We obviously have a range of options ... that start with relaying the existing setts using a deeper base and stronger mortar through to tearing them all up and going to a flexible paver (and some considerable cost - estimated to be about 1500 per parking space). I would be very keen to hear any thoughts people might have.

Best wishes,
James
James, Hertford

Pablo

50mm setts are perfect for car parking and a 20mm joint is wider than desired but shouldn't be a problem if the mortar was strong enough. Have you not approached the builder? 4 years is unacceptable and should still be within their guarantee.
£1500 to pave a bay is a liberty too, usually only takes a day.
Can't see it from my house

jamescrosierplace

Many thanks for the feedback Pablo - much appreciated. I have approached a few local companies but they seem keener to push pavers instead of the existing setts, and suggested that if we did want to keep the look of the setts they would need to be 100 mm cubes, not 100 x 100 x 50s. From everything I've read on this site, it seems to be that the base and mortar are indeed the issue, not the depth of the setts. It looks as though the builder who laid them has used an extremely sandy base and mortar (they claim for permeability?). I and the other three owners are tempted to push for a repair by the company who installed them, but they were contracted by a larger building firm who have washed their hands of us. It sounds as though replacing what we have would be the cheapest option though ...
James, Hertford

Pablo

The main builder is responsible for the quality and guarantee of all sub contractors work, they would've inspected and signed the subbies work off. Get a solicitor and a report by an independent expert and I doubt you will lose. (assuming everything is as you say).
Their blatant permeable "lie" will be torn to pieces in minutes if an expert gets to cross examine them.
Can't see it from my house

jamescrosierplace

Thanks for the advice Pablo. Good to know these seems to be beyond the level of acceptable workmanship. We've tried pressing them on this once, but maybe a letter from a solicitor might help. Worth a try anyway. Either way, it seems from your replies that it's not likely to be the depth of the setts that matters, but rather how they've been laid ... and that's good to know. Thanks again.
James, Hertford

DempseyLiverpool

50mm granite setts laid correctly will take 20tonne plus. I give 10 year guarantee for piece of mind for the customer but I know when I've finished they are there for good.

Builder is talking bollocks. I wouldn't want the previous contractors to relay them if I was you.
Dempsey Landscaping Liverpool

Natural stone paving & driveway professionals

http://www.landscapingbydempsey.co.uk

Tel: 0151 724 5245