Laying clay pavers on virgin soil - Virgin soil-sub-base required?

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
KQ2008

Hi all,

We have recently moved house, and our new garden was all laid to turf. I have taken up approximately 200 m² of this turf, to make way for vegetable beds and flower beds, and I am in the process of digging out a path that is approximately 30m in length (75cm wide). My plan is for it to be a very cottage-looking path, with clay pavers, simply dividing the beds - which are to be used mostly for carting our wheelbarrow around on.

We are also currently having a new garden wall built, by a professional bricklayer/builder, who has seen what I am planning for the garden path, and has suggested that I don’t need to bother digging the 25cm or so deep that I was planning on digging (I was planning on a good 15cm sub-base, then 5cm sand/cement) and instead simply lay down 5 cm of sand/cement mix (6:1 ratio) and forget about a subbase, as the ground is good quality, virgin soil.

I am so torn, I would be grateful of any advice… I am a garden loving DIYer, but have never laid a path before. I don’t want to disregard what our builder has said, but everything I read on the Internet points to the need for a good 6 inch layer of subbase (followed by sand). Needless to say however, if I really don’t need to be digging down so deep, then that would save one hell of a job.

Thank you so much for any advice you can give… And sorry for the rather long blurb!
Hannah Whiteley

Tony McC
Site Admin

Oh dear! Another "builder" who really ought to stick to whatever it is they normally do to bugger-up peoples' extensions and the like and lkeave paving to those that actually have some genuine skills.

1 - you can NEVER build paving over "soil", wherther it's virgin or not.

2 - this eejit's suggestion that "the ground is good" is based on what? An episode of GroundFarce 20 years ago and summat his mate down the pub told him?

3 - as you say, "everything I read on the internet points to the need for a....sub-base". There's a reason for that: it's because it's essential.

4 - get that cowboy a bucket of oats for his horse. I wouldn't have a man like that on the same site as me!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

KQ2008

Thank you - this puts my mind at rest - I’ll stick to my original plan and get digging deeper! I’d rather do it right first time.
Hannah Whiteley