Cross-fall needed on a mot type 1 / gravel path?

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
ken300

Hi,

I'm planning on creating a gravel path in my back garden, laid as detailed on the Paving Expert page at http://www.pavingexpert.com/gravel01.htm in the 'Path Construction' section - a compacted Type 1 sub-base with a thin layer of conventional gravel compacted a number of times on top.

I've read that a SELF-BINDING gravel path (I'm NOT using self-binding gravel but bear with me...) needs either a camber or a cross-fall to ensure that water drains away correctly to minimise the washing away of the fines that hold the finished surface together, if the fines are washed away then the finished surface starts to rut & break up.

The definitions of both the MOT Type 1 that i'll be using as the sub-base of my conventional gravel path and the self-binding gravels seem on paper not a million miles from each other - both include various sized gravels down to fine particles.

Will the conventional gravel path that i'm planning with its MOT Type 1 sub-base & thin layer of gravel on top need a camber or cross fall like the self-binding gravel would to prevent the fines being washed away or will the Type 1 be more permeable than the self-binding gravel so that on my path the water would drain vertically straight down through the path?

Apologies if it's a silly question & thanks in advance for your replies.