Help needed! - Block paving

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Djcatfood

Advise needed .. I want to extend my driveway. I dug the footings down 200mm put a textile membrane down and 100mm of grade one and whacked it down. The problem is that it’s on wet clay and it’s spongy. What are my options??

Djcatfood

I’m going to dig up a section and see how dry it is? if it’s wet is it advisable to add more mot 1 or something larger ie brick rubble underneath?

Any help would be much appreciated :D

Djcatfood

Anyone?

Bob_A

In my experience you will get an answer, they are a very helpful lot on here but they are also busy making a living. Sometimes you get an answer straight away, sometimes you have to wait, just the way it goes :D

Tony McC
Site Admin

I do try to check the Brew Cabin every day, but sometimes it's just not possible for all of the reasons Bob mentions and a whole host more!

Brick rubble will do nothing but make matters worse. You need to get the sub-base to dry out.

A properly constructed sub-base will rid itself of excess water, either by draining to ground (assuming the sub-grade is suitably permeable), or via buried land-drainage which provides an escape route from the sub-base to some suitable outfall point for those times when conditions are bad. Once the paving is in place, far less surface water will find its way into the sub-base, so it becomes much less of a problem.

For now, find the lowest point within the sub-base area and dig a sump, which is essentially a deepr hole where all the excess water will collect. From that you either bale out or pump out the excess and get rid. It usually needs around 24-48 hrs without heavy rain for a sodden sub-base to drain and firm-up sufficiently to allow paving to be installed.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Djcatfood

Thankyou so much for the detailed reply and sorry for being impatient I can breath now lol.I had a look underneath the membrane and there is a layer of clay silt underneath. And the mot is sodden wet like you said. A friend offered to bring his mini digger over and scrape the mud out and go to 6 inches of grade one instead of 4.Do you think this is a better option or just leave it to dry out. I was going to chuck some lime in too to speed up the process.

Tony McC
Site Admin

The 'scraping out' and adding more Type 1 will certainly improve matters, but adding lime will lead you towards disaster. A sub-base is intende to be flexible: lime will stiffen it and reduce its long-term effectiveness, so don't do it!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Djcatfood

Thanks tony your a legend!