Pavers laid

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Rocco

They are coming back to fit a soak away.
What are the rules?
Hugh Janus

dig dug dan

Soakaway needs to be 6m from the house, and constructed using storm crates. You also need the correct number according to the surface run off area. There is a calculation on this site, but if your contractors are any good, they should know this.
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Rocco

The contractors are rubbish. When i first mentioned a soakaway they said no need they could run the drainage into the sewage outlet. I told them you cant but they said they have done a lot like this.Then two weeks ago they got in touch to say they need to come back to put a soakaway in.
They built a retaining wall then put render on it which still hasnt completely dried out four weeks later.They only rendered one side of the wall.
I think the slabs they put on the top of the wall were second hand,is there a product i could paint them with to tidy them up?
The distance from the house to where they plan to put the soakaway is 5.5 metres. On the pavers we have a strip approx 1 metre wide 12 metres long covered in a white powdery substance also in front of the gate.
If somebody out there could possibly pm me a phone number so i could have a chat and pick their brains it would be appreciated.
Hugh Janus

Rocco

they have left saying as far as they are concerned the job is finisned
Hugh Janus

Rocco

is it normal to leave some sand for the customer to do the filling in at a later date ?
Hugh Janus

Tony McC
Site Admin

It's good practice to leave, say, half a bag of KDS for the customer to top-up joints after 6 weks or so, but the joints *must* be filled, and the pavers compacted, before the paving can be declared 'complete'.

It's even better practice for the installer to return after 6 weeks or so, check the work for compliance, and then do any topping-up on behalf of the customer. It breeds nothing but goodwill and gets you *so* many recommendations......"Yes: they came back the next month to check we were still happy with everything........"
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Rocco

has everybody got bored with this topic ?
Hugh Janus

Tony McC
Site Admin

I could swear I answered this about a week or so ago. Or was that by email?

It's good practice to leave half-a-bag or so with the customer just in case any joints need topping-up, but a good contractor will fully fill all the joints before leaving the job and *should* return 4-6 weeks later to check and carry out any necessary topping-up.

Rocco

My wife and I had to do the sanding.We had a text off the company who did the job saying as far as they were concerned the job was finished.
Two lads came round last night to give a quote for putting the job right.They said they would be in touch today guess what,not a word !!
Hugh Janus

Tony McC
Site Admin

You need to determine just what needs to be put right - don't leave it to some other gang to decide which bits they want to fix, invariably the bits that offer most money.

If you had, say, 3 contractors look at it, that might give you some idea of what 'common themes' are developing, which items come up time and time again, but use your own judgement too. What do *you* think needs rectifying?

Get a written spec - do NOT leave it to a loose, verbal "we'll sort it" arrangment.