Replacing blocks.. need to rescreed?

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
jamiebmth84

Keen diy'er hoping for your expert advice!

We had our driveway extended a couple of years ago. However the blocks in the new section do not match the old section.

So, I'm hoping to replace the old section using the same paving as the new section.

The drive is in a very good condition with no low spots, movement or cracked bricks etc.

Should this be a simple case of lifting the old block and replacing with a new one? Or do I need to do any work to the laying sand and recompact?

Thanks in advance.

Tony McC
Site Admin

The correct method, ie, that recommended and sanctioned by the paving industry trade body and most so-called experts, would be to replace the bedding. I'd most definitely agree with them, as the cost is minimal and I'm a firm believer in the adage about "if a job's worth doing.....".

There is a solid technical reason why this is the "official" advice. We know that, over time, the laying coure aggregate (bedding sand) becomes crushed, becomes finer, less free-draining, less interlocked, so, its performance won't be what it was when newly installed. If you're going to 'fix' a pavement, it therefore makes sense to 'fix' the bedding while you're at it.

Obviously, were you to re-use the existing bedding, the paving is unlikely to fall apart next week, and the InterPave police won't be coming around to arrest you, but there's much to be said for the reassurance that comes from doing the job correctly.

And the rejected sand bedding need not be wasted - it's perfectly suitable for use in mixing concrete or even improving drainage in the garden.

Finally, I uploaded a new page a few days' back about how extended areas of block paving can be made that little bit less noticeable - Matching exising blok paving
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

jamiebmth84

Many thanks Tony. I started this job at the weekend and will look to replace the bedding.