Getting quotes - How much detail do i need to specify?

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
jaypee

Hi All,

I've never had any experience of getting block paving or any groundworks done before so I'm looking for some advice on what I need to specify for a new block paved driveway. I have the intention of contacting three approved installers (each have won awards for my region over the last few years) so I'm confident of receiving a great result.

My intention was to choose the blocks, colour and pattern layout I would like and point out where I would like some kerb beds adding and asking for a drainage channel fitting close to my house. However, on reading quite a lot of topics posted on this forum that uncover poor workmanship how much do I need to specify during the written quotation stage? As I'm a general joe public and have no experience in block paving besides reading the information contained on Tony's website how much detail do I need to go into. E.g. One of the beds with kerbs will have some curving. Do I need to state I don't want mortar joins and all cuts need to be a max of 5mm?

I don't want to come across as being a fussy customer or telling a professional how they should do there job. So I'm asking how much detail do I need to specify during the quotation stage?

Cheers
Jay

seanandruby
Site Admin

Your the one paying for a good job so you can specify what you want doing. A good contractor will discuss it with you so they are 100% sure of your wishes. You have to live with the finished job so it needs go be to your satisfaction. I wouldn't think your being fussy at all.
sean

jaypee

Thanks for your reply. That's good to know I'm not being overly fussy. I'll see how I get on with the three quotes.