Painting block paving - Can it be done?!

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
hurricaneboy

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, and just looking for a bit of advice.

I'm looking to alter the colour of some fairly old paving slabs which I believe are sandstone (I can post a picture if it helps). We want to do it as we don’t like the colour but don’t want to re-pave everything.

I’ve picked up two paint samples to try; one from my local paint merchant (an external concrete paint which they suggested that I apply a first coat thinned with white spirit, before two further coats), and this: http://www.floorpaintexpress.co.uk/drive-grip-anti-slip-paint.html

Both of them have anti-slip properties. Has anybody had experience of painting such slabs in the past and have they come across issues with maintenance etc?

Some forums elsewhere seem to advise avoiding painting them at all, but surely this must be an option! Any help or advice you can provide would be fantastic!

Thanks,
Ian
I know nothing!

hurricaneboy

Further to my previous message, I actually think all of the paving slabs are coloured concrete as opposed to sandstone... and the alternative paint is called Bradite floor paint for concrete and wood. I can send photos privately if that helps!

Thanks again!
I know nothing!

seanandruby
Site Admin

Don't see any reviews to date on that product.
It is just as much an "option not to paint" as it is to paint. I've painted garages and internal slabs with paint which is hard wearing but i haven't done an outside drive yet, so not in a position to advice. Others will be along with a bit more insight into the product. There is always the option of suck it and see :;): :)
sean