New driveway constraints - Gradient choices limited

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Granitechops

Hi, I am considering installing a new driveway.
done a lot of research on here, ( there is a lot to read on here, very comprehensive) And what I did not get to understand was that how involved it was to get from the garden to the road. I knew I had to get a licence from county for drop kerb (pavement) work, I read the gov portal explaining no need for planning for the paving as long as it was permeable( not my choice) or drained to garden. So was surprised to be told by District council that it did need planning permission.Why? I asked, you need the planning permission as its for a NEW ACCESS.
So to emphasize 3 separate issues
1 DROP KERB
2 NEW ACCESS
3 PAVING/HARD STANDING

So if I get planning permission for this new access/hard standing and I am bound by the details agreed in the permission, does that apply to just the access details? width, gradient etc. Or does it apply to the paving details as well, type, size draining particulars, depth of groundworks etc? I know about building regs, thats a separate issue.
My other main question is about the gradient or slope. The drive will be 8.5m from present paving slab path near house to pavement edge. If I drop the top end to make a more gentle slope I fall foul of building regs that require that steps should not be introduced where there were non before, indeed as we are both wheelchair users that is to be avoided anyway. There is also a gas main at the top end that is only 320mm below paving level.
So I end up with at least 2 choices
1 with a straight incline that drops 0.35m over 8.5m which TMR is 1
in 24
2 I break it up into 2 sections, the vehicle is a minibus, length 5.5m,
so if i keep a level ( with drainage slope to one side into border)
5.5m long, that leaves only 3m to drop .35m or TMR is 1 in 8.6.
would that be better as a curved transition at the intesection of
the two elements, or would a ridge edge be feasable?

what are your thoughts guys
although I have worked in construction, my driveway experience is limited to farm driveways in concrete, and that was years ago
Don.

Granitechops

Any one got an opinion on Stonemarket pavedrive paving blocks as sold by
Bradfords, they have an offer on at present @ 24p each incl VAT!
but are they any good?
Don.

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

stonemarket are owned by marshall so should be ok
but as always you get what you pay for !
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Granitechops

lutonlagerlout wrote:stonemarket are owned by marshall so should be ok
but as always you get what you pay for !
LLL

Ah, that makes sense, I see that Marshalls are doing a clear out offer of paving blocks, but only local to their facility up north, "clearance from upload from merchants yards" when restocking with new lines. so apart from the clearance aspect, does the cheapness come from less denseness, less consistancy, or an older design ( arris, spacer accuracy or similar)?
Thanks for the info.
Don.

Granitechops

Got as far as laying most of paving bricks but we have had 2" of rain before I could finish laying, so bedding layer is pretty wet as the MOT 1 was grey granite which was dampish when tamped so the fines came up & made an almost impenetrable surface, so the later rain wont easily dry out. What structural effect would it have if it were to be vibrated down now? will the sand slurry come up & fill the gaps between the bricks? sand will compact but water dont!
Don.