Dig out for block paving - Block paving dig out

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Davidrowe78

Hi.

Converting part of my front garden to park another car. I know I need to dig out to roughly 250mm minimum. How do I ensure arcoss a 28Sqm area that it’s the right depth throughout!

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

you could knock in pegs with a hammer and use a 1200mm spirit level check each peg is 250mm protruding from the ground then move on
we would use a laser level for this but I guess you do not have access to one
cheers LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Tony McC
Site Admin

You need to set up levels just outside what will be the edge(s) of your propsed area. There's some guidance about how to do that here

Once you have these 'external' levels, you will probably be able to stretch string lines from level to level, or from level to existing paving, and then measure down from that (we call it 'dipping').

Does that make sense?

As LLL syas, a laser level is a real boon for this task nowadays, but some of use are old enough to recall the days before laser levels and we remember how we used to do it. Those contractors who had made a few quid might even use a Cowley Level, which was just about the most awkward method of transferring levels ever discovered!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

think I still have my cowley,not quite sure how much use it was,the water level was easier to use!
LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE