Tobermore sienna - Brown patches

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
joecrow

Hi,

Please see the below image. This is Tobermore Sienna blocks.

As you can see there is quite a number of blocks which have brown staining on them, making them look grubby. As first I thought this was just mud from when they were getting laid.

You can see a patch of blocks which look fine as these were identified as the worst offenders hence replaced. It was wet when we were doing this so hard to see the others. But now as it's dry you can see the other look poor too.

Does anyone know why this has happened? Like a say, jet washed twice and even hand scrubbed one as a test.

Very disappointed in the finish. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
JCImage
JC

Tony McC
Site Admin

It's the same issue as in your other post - differential curing.

Have you had anyone out from Tobermore to comment? Occasionally, and it is *occasionally* and not "always", they, like many other manufacturers of repute, will arrange a swap for badly affected blocks, BUT:

1- they have to be visibly ugly blocks;
2 - there has to be quite a few of them, usually more than 30% of the total area;
3 - there must not have been any attempt at aggressive cleaning using acid-based products;
4 - the technical dept have to be convinced that this will not weather-out in 12 months or so.

The only way to find out is to ask your supplier to get a rep to take a look.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

joecrow

Tony McC wrote:It's the same issue as in your other post - differential curing.

Have you had anyone out from Tobermore to comment? Occasionally, and it is *occasionally* and not "always", they, like many other manufacturers of repute, will arrange a swap for badly affected blocks, BUT:

1- they have to be visibly ugly blocks;
2 - there has to be quite a few of them, usually more than 30% of the total area;
3 - there must not have been any attempt at aggressive cleaning using acid-based products;
4 - the technical dept have to be convinced that this will not weather-out in 12 months or so.

The only way to find out is to ask your supplier to get a rep to take a look.
Hey Tony,

Thanks again - I emailed Tobermore on Friday so I'm waiting on a reply.

I thought it was interesting that the replacements look a lot better. Looking at the brochure (of course) they look great, all the same colour etc. Hence I was worried something was wrong or the way they'd be laid.

Probably should've merged the topics but noticed there was two sub forums, so apologies about that.

Whilst I'm not happy at this 'differential curing' I guess i just need to suck it up as no one's fault.

Regards
JC
JC

Tony McC
Site Admin

No - don;t just suck it up. It's only by complaining that we can nudge concrete paving manufacturers to keep looking for ways to improve the curing cycle.

Years ago, similar consumer pressure drove some of the better manufacturers, including Tobermore, to invest in cutting-edge curing techniques that all but eliminated efflorescence by injecting various gases and steam into the curing chamber over that critical first few hours. If we, as consumers, don't whinge and whine when we're unhappy, then we've no right to complain when manufacturers and suppliers do nowt! And that's true for everything we buy - cars, houses, holidays, ready meals, the lot - not just hard landscaping.

Let us know when you hear more.....
Site Agent - Pavingexpert