Characteristics of a good company - Deciding who to use

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
LBSurrey

Hello

I am currently getting quotes to have my front garden replaces with block pavers.

My neighbours have recently had theirs done by a local company and it looks stunning (all of our visitors comment on it, unprompted), they have also done lots of drives in my area and all of these look great. They have good reviews on "trustatrader.com" and have the most professional website I've ever seen. They are a little more expensive than competitors but I'm happy to pay a bit extra for quality.

However, there are a couple of points which have given me cause for concern and I'm wondering if the experts on this forum think I should be avoiding this company:
They use concrete as a sub-base (on top of hardcore) and claim this objectively better
They are putting on pressure for me to get back to them quickly to agree to the job
I've spoken to them twice and each time they have said they can begin work within 7 days and will finish within 3 days (40 m sq patch). This seems a little too quick.
They initially gave me a higher quote (without measuring) and asked me what price I'd feel comfortable paying to make a deal asap.

Are these warning signs of a dodgy company or am I being overly cautious?

If I hadn't seen lots of examples of their work I'd dismiss them straight away but the work does actually look very good (from my, non professional, perspective)!

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

40m in 3 days some would consider slow
I have seen drives like that down in a day round here by the travelling folk.
however high pressure sales is a big turn off for me
your choice
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Tony McC
Site Admin

There's some good advice on how to find the better sort of contractor on this page
Site Agent - Pavingexpert