How much kiln dried sand

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Hawaii04

Hi. Well I've finally got there, one more cutting in session and I'm ready for the final compaction. Sorry if I've missed it but I can't find the calculator for kiln dried sand so anyone know how much I'll need for 60 sq M of 60 mm standard blocks. Every part of me aches now, respect to you guys who do this every day.
John

jwill

Do your merchants take back bags or are they nearby? I'd see how far 5 go think that's what I used on mine and was roughly 60m

MrT

Apparently 270kg according to Brett Paving

Alternatively, as with above, I've known a number of people use 5 bags so that number feels a bit off :p
Plumber

Tony McC
Site Admin

Based on average usage, we used to calculate 8m² per 25kg for 80mm blocks and 10m² per bag for 60mm blocks. Cuts always take more, so narrow paths with lots of cut edges and little in the way of uncut joints would gobble up the KDS, while big expanses with minimal cutting would, obviously, give better coverage.

For 60m² of 50mm or 60mm blocks, Id bring 6 bags and expect to have some left over.....but given that joints need to be topped-up after 6 weeks or so, that surplus can be kept in the shed until needed.

And at less than 5 quid a bag, is it really worth buying less and hoping you'll have enough? A return trip to the BM or DIY shed will cost you a lot more than just a fiver!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert