How deep is deep enough?

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Dusty2017

Hi

I've bought the book and read the website and forum pretty extensively, amazing resource thank you!

I've just started to excavate the front of my house for a block paved driveway.

Plan is 150mm hardcore 40mm bed 50mm blocks.

I've excavated approx 250mm all around below final pavement level. My question is when can I determine if I have hit robust enough ground to lay the hardcore?

I've read I should excavate soft spots further what defines a soft spot? Is there any test I can do to determine if the ground I have reached is deemed hard or soft?

Sorry if this is answered in the forum already I have been searching.

Thanks
Matt

seanandruby
Site Admin

You should know when you hit firm sub soil.
soft spot is what it says on the tin...soft. If your In any doubt you can always use a membrane. Make sure all organic material is excavated.
sean

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

sub grade usually loses the dark humus rich colour of topsoil,so it could be white ==>chalk or orange ===> or it might even be sand
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Tony McC
Site Admin

If you leave heel marks in it, then it's too soft. This assume you are wearing work boots or similar and not your stilettos!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Dusty2017

Thanks for the responses.

Think part of my problem is I dug it all out and then the heavens opened for 2 days straight.

It's all dry now and I leave no indentation when walking on it with a pair of work boots.

I've hit chalk in places so I guess it's far enough.

Planning on using a membrane but first filling in the craters with type 1 and compacting before laying the membrane is that wise? Then 150mm type 1 on top to bring me to the right level for the bedding coarse.

seanandruby
Site Admin

Sounds good to me dusty. Place the mot in 75 ml layers compacting each layer to refusal.
sean