Paving - Ice

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
paul butler

i had a driveway replaced. The new paving gets very icey in cold weather. I did say to the contractor about the pavers being slippery, before he used them, and he said they were not. It rained hard one night then got very cold. The next morning i could see ice on the paving and it was very dangerous. If people had walked on it without knowing there would of been an accident or worse. The old pavers before, which were Marshalls were never slippery. The new ones are Formpave. The people who make these pavers have stated that everyone gets this problem.
Is this true ?. The contractor said that it is the first time he has come across this, then said i have to grit it like most other people do. Also i must of been wearing slippery shoes.
It has got icey on more than one occasion.
I am now worried when Winter comes. And also if i want to sell the house.

Tony McC
Site Admin

Icy? In July? Where the bloody hell do you live???

All CBPs sold in Britain and Ireland from recognised manufacturers, such as Marshalls and Formpave, have to meet a minimum requirement for Slip Resistance Value (SRV).

Sometimes, when pavers have had a few winters out in the cold and damp, the weathering process results in a rougher surface which can (sometimes) have a higher SRV than the blocks had when new.

You should NOT put de-icing salts on CBPs (or any other concrete paving). You can put grit sand down, which will temporarily improve traction in icy conditions, but not salt, which will destroy the concrete surface.

The stated SRVs of both Marshalls and Formpave blocks is not too dissimilar. I would guess that your perception of the latter being slippier is due more to unfamiliarity more than anything else.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert