Charcoal blocks with aggregate

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Hawaii04

Hi. Currently doing my driveway in 100x200mm reclaimed blocks. From the start I knew I would be a few charcoal blocks short for the edge course and as it turns out I'm approx 70 blocks short. I was hoping to pick some up from eBay but so far had no luck and I need them now. All the local builders merchants stock a charcoal block but they will stick out like a sore thumb as mine are aged and lighter in colour. If I did go for the new blocks, what are the chances of them blending in after a while? Any ideas appreciated or if anyone has any, I'd be willing to travel to collect. Thanks. John.
John

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

slim and none
can you not stagger them or use the new and old alternatively to give an effect?
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

country boy

Had a quick look on gumtree depending on where you live there is some available.
Something else you can try is use bleach/pressure wash on new ones to remove shine (try one first)or place new ones out of sight.
Jim

Tony McC
Site Admin

Randomise the new blocks with the old 'uns, scattering their use throughout the pavement and, although they will look odd, the overall effect is more aesthetically pleasing than a stand-alone patch of differently coloured blocks stuck on one side or the other.

The new blocks *will* weather over time and the difference will become far less noticeable.

The key to success is getting the new 'uns randomly placed. Avoid clustering. If necessary, lay all the old blocks then pluck out 70-odd at random (possibly using a block extractor tool) and replace with new 'uns.

This is a technique I've been wanting to show on the website for years, but never had the photies to show how it looks. If you do go ahead with this technique, please, please, please send me photies!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Hawaii04

Thanks for the advice. Managed to find some locally and although they are a different block to mine, they blend ok as they appear to have been sat around for a while.
John