Block paving  (concrete edgers after)

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
loudog

Hi Guys

I have seen many people screed their grit sand than lay the pavers, including their edger course. They then cut everything in and concrete the edgers after. Is this bad practice?

rxbren

If you mean just a hunch on the side then yes

I've always before stone up set edgings/blocks on concrete and haunch as i go

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

yes mate,but it generally means they wont be short of type 1 or grit sand
edgings first is the correct way
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Tony McC
Site Admin

Restraining edges courses Right and Wrong ways
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

lodge

As an amateur I have always done edges first on concrete but all the paving companies round my way dont bed the edges they just haunch them, they look great when new as the edges and main body of paving are perfectly flush with each other, if done the correct way its not easy as an amateur to get the main body of paving to compact down to the exact same level of your edges when they are on concrete, I guess this is where experience comes in.

rxbren

You just have to allow few mm for compaction.
Haunching in the side does not last sure its quicker but its not a proper restraint and will fail sooner rather than later. There is a lad near me advertising at £75 m2 not including muckaway and from the pictures I've seen is just a haunch more than likely just sharp sand and cement comes with a ten year warranty but will they be going in a few years let alone 10

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I prefer to use a proper 150x50 flat top edging set first
not as quick but a proper job to my mind
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

rxbren

I'm with you on that but it is far quicker than laying blocks on concrete

seanandruby
Site Admin

Is it about speed, or quality ???
I'm more the take your time do it once sort of worker :;):
sean

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

^^ with Sean here,I wont do it if its not worth doing and to my mind a 150mm edging on 150mm of concrete is a lot more structurally sound than a 50 mm block on 100Mm of leanmix made from grit sand and cement

as said elsewhere loads lay the area cut it in then haunch it
pure shite

LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Tony McC
Site Admin

lodge wrote:....the paving companies round my way dont bed the edges they just haunch them, they look great when new ....
....but that is an incorect and unacceptable construction that *will* fail eventually. It's the work of cowboys, rogues and incompetents.

It may well look effective when new, but there are very well-established reasons why it is not the correct way to do the job, and they are explained on the page I referenced earlier in this thread.

If there is to be any integrity at all in the paving trade, it is exactly this sort of practice that needs to be condemned and stamped out.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

loudog

Very interesting all the points made, It looks good when finished but by the time it starts to fail which could be two years they are gone and so is your money.

lodge

Tony McC wrote:
lodge wrote:....the paving companies round my way dont bed the edges they just haunch them, they look great when new ....

....but that is an incorect and unacceptable construction that *will* fail ureventually. It's the work of cowboys, rogues and incompetents.

It may well look effective when new, but there are very well-established reasons why it is not the correct way to do the job, and they are explained on the page I referenced earlier in this thread.

If there is to be any integrity at all in the paving trade, it is exactly this sort of practice that needs to be condemned and stamped out.
Your preaching to the converted, I understand its bad practice which is why myself even as an amateur have never done it and use the method this site recommends, I was pointing out its the so called professionals that are doing it round my way and they get job after job after job on the same street as when the paving is newly laid it looks impressive to the untrained eye, they appear very proud of it as they erect a huge sign in every drive they pave.

dig dug dan

We have a similar problem round here. Some firm turned up, sponsered every roundabout going, even set up a shop selling block paving, every drive they do is rushed, bad cutting in,drainage installed that isnt connected to anything, cheap foreign national labour, people go for them as they are cheap. When they are long gone, we all have to pick up the pieces as usual
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I see them round our way too Dan, its a shame because they have kit,and the poor lads (slaves) work bloody hard,but its all about doing the drive in a day,get paid and offski
untill the law comes down hard on them they will continue to do so
I like the way they do it in texas
life means life
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE