Paving 100x100x25mm cobbler style base - Advise for base and jointing

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
cjholdsworth

Hello Brains Trust.
This site is great, so nice to see sharing and helpful advice!
I want lay a new path in my front yard. It's currently grassed with a hard clay about two inches under the grass and topsoil.
The pavers are square 100mm granite 25mm thick and I'd like to lay a fanned style pattern. I'm wondering how to prepare the base?
I was thinking of excavating 75mm, putting in formwork each side then using your 1:10 concrete to damp sand mix and compacting it to 50mm. Then I'd lay the pavers in the pattern I wanted.
Will choosing a cool cloudy day mean the base would not dry completely letting me work the pavers slightly and bed them rather than working on a hardened surface? Or is the point of this method to lay onto a hard surface?
After I'd planned to mix 1:6 cement and dry sand, sweep into the gaps and mist with water to let it all harden and lock the pavers in place.
Any ideas or thoughts?
Thanks again for the forum!

dig dug dan

It was all going well until you said " planned to mix 1:6 cement and dry sand, sweep into the gaps and mist with water to let it all harden and lock the pavers in place."
Epic fail.
You should either wet point by hand, or buy settpoint, but if its not a big area, its not cost effective.
lay them on a wet mix, on a hardcore base
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Tony McC
Site Admin

Trying to create a fan pattern layout uisng square setts is not easy. You either work with bloody ugly gaping joints or you double taper trim some of the setts to keep joint width to 12mm or less.

And, as Dan said, jointing with dry sand and cement is just inviting it all to be overrun with weeds and then fall apart.

Read the sett jointing information and follow some of the links for more guidance.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert