Levelling sloping ground before laying patio

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
kipperdog

Hello,

I'm planning to lay a new patio but the ground slopes to a depth of about 1 foot at one end so I need to build up the level first...

There is an existing concrete slab patio which I will take up but I need to extend the new patio to the left by approx 6sqm.

I'll use the base of the existing patio and build up the area to the left to this same level.

Would it be best (easiest/cheapest) to pour a concrete base (using formwork) to level it or use MOT1 and compact – which I assume would need a retaining wall of some sort?

Also, could I use the old concrete slabs (50mm) to help build up the level and, if so, would it be best to have a layer of old flags above or below the compacted MOT1?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony McC
Site Admin

The usual method is to use a retainer of some description (maybe a Flag on Edge) and then build-up layers of compacted sub-base material until you have the desired lift.

However, for 6 square metres, that may well be a bit much so maybe it would be a matter of building-up level by using a relatively weak concrete, something like a C7.5/GEN 0 (see this page for mix ratios). However, you need to think how that elevated end will look. It could be that using a more decorative flag-on-edge even if the infill is the C7.5 concrete, would be a best option.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

kipperdog

Thanks for the info Tony.

Much appreciated