Re-profile driveway

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Hawaii04

Hi. Well, excavation is almost complete on my diy driveway and all is going well. The profile of my driveway is : slope- level - slope. During excavation, the original profile has nearly gone and it is almost just one slope from start to finish. ( this is due to thick concrete on the level section). Well my question is, can I just re profile it with type 1 whacked down in 75mm intervals to get the level section back or is there another method. Thanks.
John

seanandruby
Site Admin

The problem you will have there is where the existing concrete is and then no concrete there is a chance of differential settlement. Is ther no way you can take up the concrete so it is all flexible material. Or if it is to big a job then place edgings, aco's etc to form a break between sections. Only way to re-profile is to add, or take away material.
sean

Hawaii04

Thanks but I don't think I've explained it too well. The concrete has been taken up already and I've taken out further soil and chalk to allow for a type 1 sub base. The level section of my driveway was basically thicker concrete so when the concrete was taken away, it's now just one continuous slope and I would like the level section back again. I'll try to post pictures. Thanks anyway.
John

Tony McC
Site Admin

Build-up in layers, as you suspected, but 75mm is a bit tight. 100mm at a time is much more realistic.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Hawaii04

Thanks tony. Appreciated.
John