New drive - are my expectations to high?

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Blake7

Hello all,

I have just had a new block paved drive in plaspave premia 60. I'm a tradesmen myself and like to think I take pride in what I do and do it to a high standard.

With drives not being my area, I got someone in to do it for me. There are a few areas I'm not overly happy with and thought I'd ask for your opinion please.

I have the following questions:

1. Is it acceptable to have some blocks with chipped corners? I have around 5.

2. Should I expect the drive to be completely level with no blocks slightly higher than others in a couple of places?

3. I have storm drains on one end and a pavement opposite. The other two sides have no edge restraints and are meet a lawn. I have questioned why no edge restraints and he states they are not needed. I have requested small plaskerb on one side as it would look better.

4. The drain cover looks a pigs ear. Do these always look bad or should he of made a better job of cutting the pavers to blend in with the lines of the rest of the drive?

Apologies for the long post and I can get some pics up tomorrow if it will help.

Thanks in advance

Blake

rxbren

Pictures would help

Blake7

I'll get some up tomorrow, cheers

seanandruby
Site Admin

1 no
2 yes
3edge restraints are needed, especially where paving meets a soft area like a lawn.
4 working around drains, manholes etc; are difficult to do and an expert would leave it flawless. Any slight chips, or bad cutting will draw the eye to it, don't want that. The block experts will tell more after photo's are posted.
sean

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

everything should look aesthetically pleasing from day 1
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Blake7

It's raining so the pictures are not great. Please comment away

ImageImage

lemoncurd1702

Wouldn't say it's to bad a job but there some issues as you have pointed out.
Firstly though the way that the edges have been restrained is an acceptable and recognised method. Bedded on concrete with concrete haunching.
Regarding the chipped edges. I've installed a similar product and as they have virtually no chamfer they are very prone to spalling. However the offending blocks should be replaced.

No adjacent blocks should be at a different level. The only area that I can see this on the images is around the drainage channel where they appear to have sunk. Worth keeping an eye on this as it looks to me as though the bedding sand is disappearing, into a void maybe.

Yes the manhole looks like a pigs arse. Couldn't the cover have been shifted back an inch to avoid breaking the line of the border, or the border could have been laid an inch over.
Another observation is that some of the cuts are to small, almost wafers in some places.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

Blake7

is this acceptable? there must around a 5mm drop in the middle

seanandruby
Site Admin

Slips unacceprable, manhole cover detail unacceptable. If blocks prone to spalling then he could of used a mat. You pay good money you expect a good finish.
sean

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

manhole border looks a bit rough and some cuts too small but overall not a bad job, the question of kerbs edgings is something that should have been spoken about in the design costings stage
I see loads of drives like this with the edge course bedded on concrete and then haunched,I am not a fan but its a cost thing
also looks like the KDS needs topping up
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Dave_L
Site Admin

I don't think it's too bad a job, top the sand up when it's dry in the spring, it'll look a whole lot better.

All as above really.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

Blake7

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I did send the contractor an email detailing the points that I thought needed attention.

He called me immediately being rather defensive, told me I was nit picking and that I was peeing him off. Then he hung up.

He has since sent a text to apologise and says he will sort tomorrow. Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day :D

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

worst thing anyone can do in this scenario is get angry,it is very unhelpful to a satisfactory settlement
try to be diplomatic but stand your ground
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Blake7

It went well today, he apologised for his actions yesterday. He said this was the first time someone had criticised his work in the 4 years he had been going alone and he did not react well to it.

He is going to replace the chipped blocks, level the few that have sunk, move the drain cover over an inch and then lay a full course of edge bricks. He will re do the cuts in the drain cover also.

Thanks again to all that took time to reply. I post the finished result up once done.

rxbren

Good result
Sometimes if I have a lid near edging ill bed it in after the edge course has gone in it can get a neater job plus can be jiggled to suit paviours