Should i seal newly laid driveway and hardstanding - What to do with a newly rebuilt drive et

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
killajoules

Hi there

We have just had a house virtually rebuilt. The driveway has just been laid with block paving, indeed the builders are due to sand and whacker plate it today.

The garage is drive through to a large concrete pad behind with external pit and has been constructed from polished concrete.

There is also extensive Indian sandstone patio areas.

We are hoping to move in within the fortnight and my OCD son is demanding that all the drive and hardtsanding be immediately sealed as I will be parking a number of Land Rovers ranging from the oldest to the newest on them with the inevitable immediate dripping of transmission and sump oils especially from the older vehicles.

Despite us having had a very dry October in the SE I see that you recommend that the surfaces really be weathered for a good year.

I will put drip trays under the older vehicles but do you recommend holding off sealing before we move in or not?

Looking at your site it infers that there is little or no need to seal the Indian Sandstone (its light grey, thankfully I dissuaded them from Black Kadaffa reading your comments and seeing it laid at a local builders merchants)

Should the concrete floor of the garage and hardstanding be sealed too? These will of course be where I will be rebuilding the older vehicles?

Cheers Julian

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

way too late for outdoor sealing Julian
need to wait for warmer weather now
as with all vehicles better to fix the leaks than repair the damage
what block paving was used? concrete or clay?
cheers LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

killajoules

lutonlagerlout wrote:way too late for outdoor sealing Julian
need to wait for warmer weather now
as with all vehicles better to fix the leaks than repair the damage
what block paving was used? concrete or clay?
cheers LLL :)
I assume you've never owned an old Land Rover :-)

General rule of thumb, if its not dripping oil its all run out :-(

That said I rebuild the gearbox on the 1952 and thats pretty good appart from the notorious transfer box gasket that still leaks.