Low maintenance block patio advice? - Weeds weeds weeds

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
peabee

I have a ~4x8meter block paved patio with mostly herringbone 20x10 cm concrete blocks with 2-3mm gaps, and a 6x6cm block with 5-10mm gaps over a quarter of the area. Somewhat sheltered and damp site. The gaps go to weed each year, often within a couple of months of having applied systemic weedkiller, waiting for them to die, pressure washed and brushed in new kiln dried sand. I'm really fed up with the level of maintenance required, and the look of the patio when I don't keep up with the maintenance!

My options seem to be a weed inhibiting sand, polymetric sand, or possibly a decent sealant?

There seem to be conflicting stories from people on the weed inhibiting sand (biosand, dansand, etc). It doesn't look like this is a 100% solution, doesn't last, and generally seems to not be much cheaper than polymetric sand. It will however definitely support 2-3mm gaps between the blocks.

The polymetrics recommended by this site - rompox easy, jointex easy and weatherpoint 365 - seem like they could be a good longer term solution, but rompox easy specs 5mm gaps min and the others seem to be 3mm minimum. This would be my preferred solution, but I'm guessing that pushing it to 2-3mm gaps is asking for trouble?

A good quality sealant (such as resiblock?) looks like it could help stabilize normal kiln dried sand - though not so sure how well it would stabilize the larger 5-10mm gaps in the square blocked area, nor its relative permanence? If a dual coat is really required this could be expensive. Is Resiblock the best price/performance choice or are there better alternatives?

I've read through the site, but not having any real experience I am unsure as to the best approach - would appreciate any suggestions and advice.

Thanks, Paul.

r896neo

Your joints are too big by the sound of it. Polymeric type jointing will not work in 2mm joints, you will have to use kikln dried sand.

Your 5mm + joints will take a jointing compound but it will not last well if the blocks are laid on a flexible bedding.

Your solution is to either lift it and relay with tighter joints or larger format paving which can be laid rigid and have a pointed mortar joint which will stop any weeds.

Or just learn to live with it.

Or consider the extra cost of relaying it and use the money to pay someone to maintain it a few times a year.

Weed inhibiting sands dont really seem up to the job to me.

It sounds like the paving is not well laid and so spednign good money on a quality sealant may not achieve the result you are hoping for.

peabee

The square blocks are all used in a single large circle feature in the middle of the overall herringbone pattern. I guess that could perhaps be relaid with larger, tighter pavers, leaving the rest alone. As that part of the patio hardly gets any traffic I might possibly get away with using a polymeric?... The patio was laid professionally and seemed well built - hardcore followed by sand base with blocks laid on that - the blocks haven't shifted over the years, just that I get this awful weed problem in the joints.

Either way, it sounds like sealing may be the best maintenance free option for the herringbone areas? If that is the case are there recommendations for a long lasting product? What kind of lifetime could I expect? Is a dual coat really required?

Is there a standard way to attach photo's to these postings?

Many Thanks, Paul.

r896neo

No paving surface will ever be maintenence free.

The resiblock products are highly regarded for block paving.

I would get in touch with them to dicuss and get some ideas of longevity. To be honest though you may need to manage your expectations.

Sealing a 5-10mm joint of kiln dried sand will not work terribly well.

peabee

Many Thanks for the advice Ganger. I accept it's never going to be maintenance free - just aiming to get it so it's not a royal pain every year.

ResiblockBoss

I agree with all of the above - Resiblock 22 would definitely be your best shot. PM me with your phone number/address and I will get you a sample with my compliments.
Craig
ResiblockBoss