Cleaning acid splashes - How do i remove acid splash marks

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
mickavalon

Hi
Not been on here for a while, so I thought I'd come up with a topic to gently ease myself back in, LOL!!! We've just finished a garden for a client, and in the process of the job, we managed(royal we) to get a few cement spots here and there on the clients drive. During the clean up, WE(ahem) got a little bit enthusiastic with diluted Brick acid, and while it removed the stains, it then ran over the surface, before being cleaned properly, which has left very nice tide mark where the acid dried(I guess), it isn't hugely noticeable, and I'm going over to give the whole surface a wash down and re-sand, but it does show. Any tips or do I just have to try and treat the whole surface to get the same look. I'd say the marks now cover 25% of the driveway!!! :(
Gi it sum ommer

seanandruby
Site Admin

oops Mick
We all f@#$ up from time to time ( royal we ) :;):
sean

Tony McC
Site Admin

If it's sandstone, then sometoimes, and it really is only *sometimes*, one of the really good rust removers can help remove or lessen the noticeability of the staining.

However, if it's limestone, as Sean so eloquently and succinctly put it, you're f@#$ed!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

mickavalon

No there standard 200x100 charcoal block pavers, sorry should've said. The runs have given them back their colour, as opposed to the unmarked around them...they actually look better!
Gi it sum ommer

Tony McC
Site Admin

Concrete pigments (most of 'em, anyway) are based on iron oxides, and acid frees the iron, which can make the colour appear stronger.

It's sometimes a temporary effect.....

mickavalon

So shall I wash the rest over with the same solution, or let be?
Gi it sum ommer

Tony McC
Site Admin

I'd let it be. I really, REALLY don't like using acid with any form of paving - it's just so bleeding unpredictable!

mickavalon

I'm going to chance giving it a good clean with the washer and see if it just wasn't done properly first time round. It really doesn't look to bad...just different:rock:
Gi it sum ommer

Azpects

mickavalon wrote:Hi
Not been on here for a while, so I thought I'd come up with a topic to gently ease myself back in, LOL!!! We've just finished a garden for a client, and in the process of the job, we managed(royal we) to get a few cement spots here and there on the clients drive. During the clean up, WE(ahem) got a little bit enthusiastic with diluted Brick acid, and while it removed the stains, it then ran over the surface, before being cleaned properly, which has left very nice tide mark where the acid dried(I guess), it isn't hugely noticeable, and I'm going over to give the whole surface a wash down and re-sand, but it does show. Any tips or do I just have to try and treat the whole surface to get the same look. I'd say the marks now cover 25% of the driveway!!! :(
We make a product to remove mortar stains, it's specially formulated to be gentle to paving
http://www.azpects.co.uk/products/easy-mortar-stain-remover.aspx

mickavalon

Cheers Mr Azpects, we use a few of your products, Eazi joint being the main. I'll see if my supplier will get some in, although availability is an issue here in Brum. Who's your best stockist around here?
Gi it sum ommer

Tony McC
Site Admin

Azpects wrote:We make a product to remove mortar stains, it's specially formulated to be gentle to paving
Out of interest, have you tested this on the worrisome Indian sandstones?

Azpects

Tony McC wrote:
Azpects wrote:We make a product to remove mortar stains, it's specially formulated to be gentle to paving

Out of interest, have you tested this on the worrisome Indian sandstones?
Hi Tony,

As is the nature of stone, we can't test it on every single type, it varies so much

We'd always recommend testing it on a sample area before going ahead

Tony McC
Site Admin

Furry nuff, but I'd expect it to have been tested on the more popular stone, say Kandla Grey, Raj Green, Modak, Camel, <spit> Mint, and the like to see if there were any definite no-noes.

Azpects

Tony McC wrote:Furry nuff, but I'd expect it to have been tested on the more popular stone, say Kandla Grey, Raj Green, Modak, Camel, <spit> Mint, and the like to see if there were any definite no-noes.
It should be fine for most natural stones but again we always recommend a test area before completely blitzing a patio with it.

Limestone is the main exception, the same material it is designed to remove is present in Limestone itself so it's not an ideal solution.

It's a different product to brick acid, which seems to cause more problems than solutions in our experience, whether it's agitating iron deposits in stone, bleaching a stone or even stripping off the top layer all together.