Recycling tarmac sub base for gravel

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
dwearl

Hi All

I have an old tarmac path around my house which I'd like to replace. The plan is to replace with gravel at the front and slabs at the back. I've lifted up some of the tarmac to find a sub base of small loose stones (look like the same stones used to make the tarmac), around 75-100mm deep.

Can I use these stones as a sub base for the gravel and/or slabs? I plan to wack them down, but fear they still may be quite loose. Maybe there's something I could mix in with them to create a more solid base? It must of course be permiable though for the gravel, which I'd then spread straight on top. For the slabs, I plan to put a layer of sand between the sub base and slabs. Ideally I'd be using type 1 for sub base, but hoping to save myself a lot of time and expense!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
David Earl

seanandruby
Site Admin

Doing a poor job to save time and expense is not recommended. You would be best to excavate the gravel and use mot sub base.
sean