Contractor tarmac problems - advice needed

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
w1lz

Thank you for all your comments guys.

The contractor has currently agreed to re do the hill section and pull up the surface course in the rough areas and patch it basically. It's not ideal but hopefully will be better than what we have! Hoping that the patches wont be too noticeable!

bobbi o

Be interesting to see that.

Keep us posted.

w1lz

So I saw the contractor today... Was an interesting talk he has give us two options:

(a)Re do the hill- but only be hand lay - it was originally machine laid. We are worried that hand lying you wont get them same finish. I think he is trying to save money by not getting the machine out again.
(b) See to the rough areas by pouring fine bitumen into them. Not sure if this is a good fix, he says it will bond to the material already down. He would then put sealing grit over it. Would this be ok? I guess it avoids a patches but would this be a sufficient way of fixing the rough areas?

OR

2. Give us a 6k discount. The job in total was 17k so he would give a discount of over a third. I'm tempted by this as I don't really want him touching the job again- but I do think the other residents just want it doing right and are not so bothered about the cash.

But anyway, by offering the latter he has basically confirmed what he has done is BS!

Thoughts would be helpful!?

Dave_L
Site Admin

Take the discount.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

w1lz

Can anyone give me a very rough estimate in costs per square metre?

Basically 50mm of 20mm close graded bitumen as a binder and 30mm of 6mm close graded wearing course. An estimate of per square metre price would be VERY helpful! We are based in Leicestershire.

Thanks!

bobbi o

Around £35 per sq.m + vat, not including any preparatory work

rxbren

You have a few options
Patch repairs- although will look bad
Wearing course taking up and relaying- doubtful they will do that
Take the discount and leave it
To get another company in to get it sorted to how you want it could cost you alot more in the long run

w1lz

Thanks guys, yeah I think we are taking money just trying to work out if he has offered enough.

rxbren

6k is a big amount to take off no ideal on their margins but really doubt there would have been that much in profit unless they got really lucky with prep, muck away costs, and tarmac costs