Would this job result in a defective driveway?

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
LookingLively

When I first bought my property had a driveway of about 45 square metres laid with stone chippings which I drove vehicles, a box trailer and carted things across it with a sack barrow with no trouble. The only problem was the chippings were getting threadbare and weeds were coming up in places, it was looking a bit scruffy. I had someone in to advise and quote for an economical way to refresh the driveway. He suggested raking out the current drive, laying weedex matting across it and then laying 5cm depth of 20mm gravel, no machinery required. That job would cost less £1000 to complete, but am I going to regret it? Any thoughts gratefully received...

Tony McC
Site Admin

Emma, you should advise potential respondents that you are taking legal action against the contractor. Some of the Brew Cabin Irregulars may not wish their freely-proffered opinions to be used as part of a legal action.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

LookingLively

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the heads up, can I reassure you and everyone else I would not be representing any opinions posted here as part of my legal action, it would not be admissable anyway, I am just trying to gauge whether anyone who has a knowledge about these things would have been able to anticipate these problems? Seeking confidence to proceed when I am ignorant of such things is not easy. Perhaps I should have said I was taking legal action but I didn't think it was helpful when I am asking purely for fresh and general opinion on the issue of how a driveway is best constructed, or more importantly, not constructed! I hope no-one is upset and I'm sorry if this has caused any concern or inconvenience Tony :blush:
ELJ

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

my solicitor holidays in the Caribbean
this is the big problem with unspecified work,people want a silk purse for the price of a sows ear,it cannot be done.
We weren't privy to the communications between yourself and the contractor so have no idea what was required and what was agreed
best to go to arbitration as legal action is always costly to both parties in health and wealth
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

LookingLively

I think he was after as much cash as he thought he could get away with. I feel like an idiot for not getting other quotes from other tradesman to compare, not for the money but for the method and their feedback. Since then I've had tradesmen come to cost to rectify and seen their work and what I now believe is a 'proper job' (for not much more than he charged in fact!). I NOW know that if someone comes to quote me for a driveway I will send them packing if they tell me I don't need scalpings and I need that muvh gravel. But I shouldn't have to go through that experience to know that as a layperson, should I?
ELJ

LookingLively

Thanks lutonlagerlout, I tried arbitration at the Conciliation hearing but the tradesman in question is refusing to accept any responsibility and therefore compromise. Maybe he's saving up to go to the Caribbean too!
ELJ

Dave_L
Site Admin

Unspecified work - Champagne service at lemonade prices!
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

LookingLively

OK, I'm just a girl and therefore I don't really understand most of what is being said here. Just trying to find some-one who is a professional who might stand up and say that there is an industry-standard minimum expectation of service from someone whose business cards and website and headed notepaper say they are a Landscaping Business and they are making recommendations to someone who wants the end product to function at least as well as what was there before? Are us single 'blonde' women all sitting ducks to tradesman who think if they are too dumb to the ins and outs about the what they are paying for (whatever the price!) they deserve to be left with a mess to deal with?

The tone of this website invited discussion on professionalism and offered advice, I'm having some difficulties and I was simply and genuinely reaching out, first to the owner and then to the forum - I assumed that it was for every type of person not just the old boys network!? Sorry if I have made an unwelcome query...
ELJ

seanandruby
Site Admin

With respect it is you who had the work done before consulting us. Yes we are all mostly pros' that is why we won't offer a solution whilst you are taking legal action. Did you get 3 quotes, or just take the first one that came along?
The bitterness of a poor job is remembered long after the sweetness of a cheap one is gone :;):
sean

LookingLively

I didn't know you were out here otherwise I would have (hindsight is a wonderful thing). I'm ashamed to say I didn't get 3 quotes, it was a work colleague whose partner had moved his business from Surrey. I should have rang alarm bells I know, but initially it was a small job of converting a couple bits of lawn to gravel, and the scope grew when he came round, as discussed. I really didn't think to question his abilities, h came across so professionally. Had it been Joe Bloggs the labourer turning up with a shovel to quote I would obviously have not assumed that.

I'm a caterer, If I get called to quote for a wedding feast, people can check my credentials but they never ask to, they assume that I know how to cook without leaving them with stomach cramps and a bad taste in their mouths!
ELJ

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

Emma as someone who has been through the legal minefield with a customer who chopped and changed their mind at will and then questioned everything,its hard for me to advise

A proper job would involve ripping all of the old stuff out,installing new kerbs and a new sub base then laying thin layer of gravel on that

however the cost of this is prohibitive so I generally turn this kind of work down

the chuck a bit of gravel on a membrane is the realms of the do as you likeys,

FWIW gravel drives are a nightmare,as basically you need to rake them most days as the gravel migrates

I had one for 7 years ,never ever again

hope this helps
LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

DempseyLiverpool

Basic preparation
Digger for 1 day with driver £250
Couple of grab hires £360
Sub base £400

Rough Northwest prices and thats your grand gone without labour, edge restraints , membranes, drainage etc
Dempsey Landscaping Liverpool

Natural stone paving & driveway professionals

http://www.landscapingbydempsey.co.uk

Tel: 0151 724 5245

LookingLively

Thanks LutonLager, that is helpful. My partner has a gravel driveway and its fine - not perfect, but fine. Mine is like wading through treacle, when I'm not tripping over bis of matting. I shall just have to wait and be patient for the judges verdict!
ELJ

LookingLively

Got a rectification quote for £1240 all in like you listed DempseyLiverpool and reusing (some of) the existing gravel. Seen his work, he's great. If that's what I had known it would take to have a proper job I would probably have gone ahead, or I may not have done and left it as it was. I didn't have the choice cos I trusted the man with the fancy business card.:(
ELJ

sy76uk

I've done 2 gravel drives this year.
The first was laid with a block paved border, 150mm sub base and 40mm cotswold chippings.
We also did the fence, put a radial step in and 3 cast manhole covers.
For a 100m2 drive and all other work it came in at 7.5k.

The 2nd was 200m2 with about 12m2 rumbled paved rumble strip.
There was already chippings down but they had compacted over the years so he just wanted it ripping up and a new layer of gravel down.
The sub base was only 50mm type 1 but he didn't want the expense of us doing a proper job.
This was twice the size but came in at 2.9k.

It's down to you and the contractor to agree specifications and price.