Asphalt maintenance

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
AlanSandstone

Hi

I have a asphalt drive (think it was marshals??) laid 4 yrs ago.

In good condition, but how should it be cleaned? Any chemical or household item? Or is powerhose best?

Also, I see a thompsons sealer in the DIY store... Is that advisable to do?

rab1

Search on this site and read a few posts along with checking the main site..
God loves a tryer

RAPressureWashing

Cleaning asphalt/tarmac is & can be a pain.
You don't really seal it either but you can if the colour is Black re-Blacken it, do a google search for a company called Watco, they do some very good tarmac products.
Roger Oakley BDA(Europe)Member 2006
R&A Pressure Washing Services Ltd
info@rapressurewashing.co.uk
www.rapressurewashing.co.uk

AlanSandstone

Thanks that website product for black top bitumen looks good. Thanks

Dave_L
Site Admin

Do not be tempted to pressure wash an asphalt surface, you will inevitably blow away the fines, leaving a rougher surface for moss and detritus to collect in and also leave unsightly swirls all over the surface.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

AlanSandstone

Thanks Dave. I've probably power washed it once or twice over the 4 years it's been down, and yes definitely it raised up some sand and it's a little less smooth than it was, but still I think in good shape. So cleaning is just sweeping brush, and then apply that black bitumen paint stuff?

Tony McC
Site Admin

Wash with a hose or a rotary head power washer, sweep off as thoroughly as possible, allow to completely dry, then look at using a slurry seal. The Watco stuff is OK as long as you have clean, relatively young, and intact, blacktop.

For those blacktop driveways that are bit more 'tired' try what the US-ians use on a regular basis - a seal coat. More about them here
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

neatcon

Tony McC wrote:Wash with a hose or a rotary head power washer, sweep off as thoroughly as possible, allow to completely dry, then look at using a slurry seal. The Watco stuff is OK as long as you have clean, relatively young, and intact, blacktop.

For those blacktop driveways that are bit more 'tired' try what the US-ians use on a regular basis - a seal coat. More about them here
We use a product here in Ireland its called Liquafix S, I have done about 6 driveways with this the first belonging to a director of Irish tar, the stuff is absolutely brilliant, pain in the butt applying it on 300m2 plus with a roller, but it gives a great finish even better than the original when first laid. Its a polymer bitumen so it is a bitumen coat it extends the life of the original and its recommended to use it every 3-5 years.

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

dont do what i tried around 20 years ago and apply blackjack with a tar brush to revigorate an old drive

cost me £300 for new carpets and 4 days getting the stuff off

bad advice at a BM :(

LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

neatcon

lutonlagerlout wrote:dont do what i tried around 20 years ago and apply blackjack with a tar brush to revigorate an old drive

cost me £300 for new carpets and 4 days getting the stuff off

bad advice at a BM :(

LLL
Liquafix S can also take upto 14 hours to fully dry/set...