Re-surface driveway question - Is this the correct approach?

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
stunnie

Hi,

I've recently had a quote to re-surface my driveway (around 173 sq/m) and the proposal is to re-shape driveway with Type 1 Subbase not exceeding 100mm deep and compacted and to lay 60mm of 10mm surface and seal joints with hot bitumen.

I had queried the absence of a binder course and was told that for light traffic a driveway only really requires a single coat and it also assists with drainage. I could have a binder course if I wanted (40mm binding and 30mm wearing) at obviously additional cost.

Finally, as part of the quote it had been stated "Please kill weeds prior to work commencing" and I had queried why this would be the case given the surface is being scraped off for the type #1 and was told "Stubborn weeds tend to be deep rooted so scraping off the surface doesn’t remove the root , this is why the weeds must be killed, otherwise they will penetrate through the new tar regardless of thickness".

Any thoughts on this - especially the direction that a binder is not really required?

Kind regards,

s

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

should be subbase not less than 100mm
I always thought that 2 courses were normal for bitmac
but the tarmac guys will be along shortly
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

rxbren

As above plus always had tarmac in 2 layers only time seen it done in one layer is where utility companies put a temporary tarmac around gulleys and services
As for the weeding to legally do it paid you need to have tickets

stunnie

Thanks for the reply - sorry I missed the point on needing tickets to do it paid?

rxbren

If you spray someone else's land with weedkiller you need (should have) a license to do so

stunnie

Understood thanks - I think they expect me to make sure the weeds are gone so they probably don't have this license. best, s

stunnie

Hi,

Thanks for the advice given here as it's helped me ensure I get a decent job. Another question that has come up is when laying the wearing coat I asked (for 173 sq/m) if machines would be used or if it would be done by hand. I was told it would be done by hand - should I be concerned and is there likely to be any significant differences in the finish?

Thanks,

Scott

rxbren

Should be fine majority/nearly all domestic driveways are levelled by hand

Dave_L
Site Admin

If this is fresh construction you really should have a binder course. One layer of 10mm is a bit of a bodge (imo)
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

rxbren

I took it as from my earlier post about normally two layers. Two layers and levelled by hand is fine