Steintec tufftop jointing mortar - Pointing cobbles

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
surreyzone

We are laying 300m of reclaimed Granite (100x200 and bigger) on to a sharp sand and cement base (I'm told 6:1) and below this we have 30-40cm Type 1 lime/granite (so overkill here). We plan to mix the S/S and cement to a damp screed and should be around 30-40 deep.

2 Questions: Is there an additive that makes sand and cement flexible and is this needed for a driveway?

Has anyone had experience with Steintec Tufftop Jointing mortar? I've read a bit about AWD 800 and also noted that slurry pointing can be hard work to clean.

I want to do this properly and once and cost isn't a problem,. Cheers folks

Tony McC
Site Admin

Cement makes for a rigid material. There is practically no flexibility in any cement-bound material (or none that you could spot without expensive lab equipment!)

TuffTop is widely used and has a good reputation, but is probably best suited to professionals. VDW800 (I think that's what you meant!) is damned good, simple and clean to use, but can be relatively pricey. Slurry jointing *is* messy, and while it's the cheapest option in terms of materials, it can end up costing almost as much in the time spent trying to clean it.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

tony what was our erstwhile colleague using saturday for cobbles?
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Tony McC
Site Admin

Err....TuffTop - but they *were* cobbles being laid, whereas the OP has setts. Still should be OK, though, but you really do need to be meticulously clean with the TuffTop.

Tony McC
Site Admin

Forgot to mention....I had to go back to site on our way back north on Sunday as I'd left me child-beating stick behind in my excitement over watching cobbles being laid. Noony found it and kept it safe for me.

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

"child and dog beating stick " surely?
:)
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Tony McC
Site Admin

I'm not a monster! I have a separate stick for dog beating!!! :p

cookiewales

surreyzone wrote:We are laying 300m of reclaimed Granite (100x200 and bigger) on to a sharp sand and cement base (I'm told 6:1) and below this we have 30-40cm Type 1 lime/granite (so overkill here). We plan to mix the S/S and cement to a damp screed and should be around 30-40 deep.

2 Questions: Is there an additive that makes sand and cement flexible and is this needed for a driveway?

Has anyone had experience with Steintec Tufftop Jointing mortar? I've read a bit about AWD 800 and also noted that slurry pointing can be hard work to clean.

I want to do this properly and once and cost isn't a problem,. Cheers folks
the steintec tuff joint is good but you need the pergo belt cleaning machine they hire them out aswell there are some pictures on my website of the jointing and cleaning :D
Originalstonepaving.com

The very best in natural stone paving in new and reclaimed materials
M: 07968 582231

surreyzone

Thank you Tony c for your comments. I am not sure I like the open-grain affect of the VDW850 and samples of the Tufftop look better and feels strong. It's more like a grout for tiles which I like. Incidentally I had so many bags of Mapei flexible bathroom tile adhesive left over I used it to point up a patio around our summer house three years ago and it looks amazing still (with no cracking whatsoever).

Steintec will hire their cleaning machine for £150 per week and so I think with careful operation, cleaning and care we should be alright.
rogan

surreyzone

CookieWales I love your website. I note you have used a wide variety of pointing methods including sand and cement which I assume is down to client budget and application? Can I ask which project address in your gallery used the Tufftop?

Also in terms of longevity and performance do you prefer one pointing method over others or is this too open a question?

Thanks everyone for your responses so far :D
rogan

cookiewales

It's on my ytube under European fan pattern also some pictures on setts page tuff grout is good but not cheap budget is the difference on my choice cheers cookie
Originalstonepaving.com

The very best in natural stone paving in new and reclaimed materials
M: 07968 582231

surreyzone

Now considering Instarmac as I'm a bit concerned that the setts present too rough a surface for easy cleaning.

Any thoughts on this product? samples are on their way.
rogan

Tony McC
Site Admin

There's not much to choose between TuffTop and UltraCem - they are both cement-based mortars so need extensive and thorough cleaning

Noony

yeah the tufftop was what we used, but the cleaning is a pain..... no go for a belt cleaner unfortunately, just a hosepipe and fine mist..... came up the cleanest yet, but we were with the area all day.
certainly a good product, but wont win any jobs on price with it i wouldn't imagine

I would hate to use it on a cropped sett thats for sure!!

Tony....Glad the stick is home safe!!
block paving, natural stone paving, sett driveways courtyards etc, brickwork and stonework.

all aspects of natural stone paving from groundworks and drainage to completion

http://www.buildpaveandscape.co.uk

surreyzone

Does anyone know where I can hire a pergo belt cleaning machine? I know Steintec will hire theirs out but I don't like the Tufftop finish having tried it. Some of the smooth slurry's look (to my mind) a little like self levelling compound. I can see how these would look great on the right flagstone.

Having tried a few sample runs using Ultrascape Flowpoint 'smooth' I found that these looked similarly like self levelling. But, I'm hoping that their 'eco' with fine aggregate provides a slightly rougher finish.

Whichever product I use I can imagine a cleaning belt will help.

I also noted on this site that one of the slurry providers uses/hires (?) a slurry laying machine - this apparently has a vibrating roller to remove air bubbles. Does anyone know who this is and does it help?

Thanks gents - you've been most useful
rogan