Black limestone setts

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
james-78

Just wondered if anyone could share they're experiences of using black limestone (setts)?

Have times changed and it is possible for sealants to make black limestone keep it's colour, or, should you just spend a bit more and buy granite setts and save a lot of heartache?

If sealing limestone setts has been successfull could you please expand on what you did, products used etc....
Cheers - J

Tony McC
Site Admin

A client of mine opted for black limestone setts, against my advice (all materials were bought prior to my involvement), and while they have very definitely faded, they have served their purpose. They were easy to lay (calibrated, sawn and tumbled 100x100x50mm setts) and have given no problems with algae (unlike the Forest Brown sandstone setts chosen as a contrast). They've even been better at resisting tyre markings, but they are almost completely bleached now.

We laid them 3 years ago, and are now looking at applying a colour enhancer later in the spring. The preliminary trials indicate that the colour can be revived, but I'm concerned about how long the effect will last under fairly regular traffic.

You can see them as they were when first laid on this page
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

james-78

I'm only in planning stages just now.

Want to use sawn setts so they're smooth to walk on for a garden path.

Don't ask why but black setts really appeal to me.

The limestone setts in your photos look great, a nice rich black tone like I want but sadly like you say not forever.

Have read on forum about sealing and to use quality products ain't to cheap.

So any savings made using limestone instead of granite might be lost once I start buying sealer.

Tempted to go for granite or can anyone suggest an alternative sett thats sawn and a rich black colour.

There's a lot of setts online, black this and black that, click for more info.... Black limestone.......

I'm open to any suggestions.

Many thanks.
Cheers - J

sy76uk

Slate doesn't change colour.

Cracking job Tony.