Resurfacing old tarmac driveway - Best value method to resurface?

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
smoothound54

Hi folks - We have a 200 sq M driveway and parking area which has a significant slope to get from road to level area. Its very old tarmac - mossy, worn with some loose chippings - but basically sound in the sense that several cars park on it daily without any problems - no rutting or large holes etc. A large skip lorry has used it several times recently - no problem. There are 4 manholes I would replace at the time.

Please advise - what would be the lowest cost method/system/material to resurface to a stable and durable finish?

We got a quote for resin bonded system but at £75 per sq M = it's out of our budget.

Many thanks in advance
Cheers
newbie DIYer

DNgroundworks

Dave L will be along shorty, our resident tarmac guy....maybe mini cold planer and re-top with fresh bitmac?

smoothound54

DNgroundworks wrote:Dave L will be along shorty, our resident tarmac guy....maybe mini cold planer and re-top with fresh bitmac?
Thanks DNG - I was kind of thinking Bitmac would be the way to go - i had a good re-inspection today - and the surface is pretty crumbly (like me) - so I am not sure it is stable enough for Bitmac :(
newbie DIYer

Captain Concrete

If it has no rutting or large holes it suggest it would be good to over lay if the levels allow it. I would remove all the loose, sweep clean, tack coat and then regulate and top with 35mm of the 10mm SMA.
Been in concreting for 22 years

smoothound54

Captain Concrete wrote:If it has no rutting or large holes it suggest it would be good to over lay if the levels allow it. I would remove all the loose, sweep clean, tack coat and then regulate and top with 35mm of the 10mm SMA.
Thanks CC - I think the falls are not perfect - levels should take 35mm (we will raise the manholes) - but I will get someone in to advise/quote etc

very helpful

cheers
newbie DIYer

Dave_L
Site Admin

Ripe for an overlay, an easy painless job for the right contractor.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page