bases for block paving vs. flagstones

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
MattTaylot

hi,

I have been looking at your site. Lots of great information here and well explained too!

I have a patio around the rear of my house that I want to redo. I was thinking of either flagstones or block paving.

One question that came to my mind regards the foundation.

With flagstones, you recommend just sand as the base (possibly with some cement added).

However, with block paving, you recommend first a layer of hardcore and then sand on top of this.

Why does block paving require an extra layer?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

84-1093879891

There are a several reasons, Matt. The first is that block paving uses much smaller elements that are not able to spread the load as does a larger unit flag. This only applies to flags that are 450x450mm or more. The small element pavings, ie, flags of less than 450mm x 450mm, also need a sub-base layer to help them carry the imposed loads.

Secondly, a sub-base helps ensure a regular thickness of laying course material can be used. which, in turn, helps avoid what is known as differential settlement. It also eliminates any deviations in the level or 'hardness' (CBR) of the sub-grade, creating a suitable and solid surface for the actual paving.

Thirdly, most block paving is subjected to vehicular traffic and so a sub-base is essential otherwise the paving would just 'rut'.

While the 3rdreason doen't apply to patios, the first two reasons apply to ALL block pavements, even simple patios or paths. Obviously, on your own property, you could choose to disregard this advice, but then your paving will settle over time and end up looking a right bloody mess! :(