Relaying pavers to improve drainage

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
archive

Hi, I am finishing off the job started 20 years ago by a former owner. The problem is that they laid the pavers with little if any drainage and they use a basket weave pattern where all bricks have a gap of half and inch separating them. I would like to know how I can:
1 relay to improve drainage
2 relay to remove the gap between the bricks
Has any one got some simple methods of achieving the task.

Thanks Dianne

84-1093879891

Hi Dianne,

assuming you can get your hands on extra bricks to complete the project, I would take the lot up and re-lay from scratch. You need to lay the pavers with a fall, so that they drain towards a gully or other drainage point, and I'm not too keen on the wide gap between adjacent pavers - they should be laid hand-tight to their neighbours with a gap not exceeding 6mm.

Lift the lot and set aside somewhere out of the way. Re-grade your bedding layer, adding fresh bedding sand if necessary, to create the requisite falls and crossfalls, and then re-lay your pavers. As you're eliminating a gap, you'll probably find yourself short of pavers, which is why I mentioned being able to get hold of extra stocks. If you can't get an exact match, you may be able to use the new bricks to create a soldier edging and then rely on the old bricks to pave the body of the pavement.

Does that help?