Upgrade to brew cabin - New improvements

Important messages and announcements regarding the day-to-day running of The Brew Cabin. Only the Site Agent and approved Gangers are allowed to post here. Questions are NOT to be posted here.
Tony McC
Site Admin

I've just completed what I hope will be the final upgrade to The Brew Cabin for the foreseeable future.

At the end of August, I switched over to this new version of the software in an attempt to overcome some problems with lost/missing posts and botched data for members. The transition wasn't without problems, but all seemed to be 'reasonable' for a few weeks.

However, the more observant of you will have noticed that every now and again the system would forget who I am and start reporting my posts as originating from an unregistered guest. This may seem a minor problem, but, behind the scenes, it meant that I wasn't able to carry out the admin tasks, as the system just didn't recognise me as having the authority to fiddle with its innards. There were also other problems that may not have been apparent to everyone, but the worst of which was a problem with the cookies used to remember who's who and where they're up to in the system.

Anyway, after discussions with the software designers, it was brought to my attention that, with over 2,000 registered members and pushing towards 6,000 posts, I was running the whole shebang on a steam-powered database that is intended for those message boards with up to 100 members and no more than 500 posts in total. Quite frankly, those-that-know were shocked that The Brew Cabin had lasted this long without exploding and showering us all with a heady mixture of dried-out tea bags, sour milk and perished cement.

So, I have had to upgrade to a brand new, shiny and slinky mySQL database (don't ask - it'll only make your brane ake) and I've had to suspend the Reichskinder's pocket money for the next 3 months to pay for it all, but what the hell! They only fritter it away on tooth-rotting sweeties and celebrity gossip magazines, anyway! :;):

I spent most of last night and the early hours of the morning checking everything and as I type, all seems to be working, but there may be unknown problems. If you spot owt untoward over the next couple of weeks or so, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. If I don't know it's broke; I can't fix it.

I'm going to keep on making minor improvements over the coming months - nowt dramatic, just tidying up the screens, improving the layout and graphics and creating a Help FAQ. Any other suggestions for improvements and/or extensions are more than welcome.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Sean Buxton

Tony,

One thing I have noticed is that all previously read message have now returned as "unread with new threads" even though the forum page option "mark these forum''s topics as being old " has been selected and the messages have all been read anyway. However "mark all topics as old" on the Main Forum page does work?? ???
Sean B

Tony McC
Site Admin

I'm not 100% sure, but that is probably because the new database has 'started afresh' and needs to compile a new cookie on each user's computer as to what they've read and when.

Give it a couple of days or so, and it should catch up with you.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

LandscapeMann

Tony,
I love the look and feel of the New Brew. Seems to be working great in all respects. If you recall I did have a problem logging on a few weeks ago. But I was up at my folks for a week and using there computer, which was having many teething problems. Now I am home and the Brew is sweet.
LM

Edited By LandscapeMann on 1097453748

condor

I posted an update to the 'subsidence under tarmac' thread...but I had to re-register and all previous comments are by unregistered guests except for the initial thread poster.
I also tried to edit the post - but unfortunatley it froze after I'd re-typed a sentence - have had another go at editing it...and seems to be fine now :)

And I'm credited with it being my first post...this presumably will come up as my 2nd? Could be confusing.