Stuck at home - bored

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
jwill

No oil here to suit got some 10-40 but it says 5-30

Re key workers politicians need to shut up with this crap. The law is if you can't work from home then allowed to work

wario

It says 10w 30

SAE30 will be fine. Toolstation/screwfix sell it. Click and collect.

Dave_L
Site Admin

dig dug dan wrote:Spoke to my mate in the fire brigade today, hes been told at a meeting that prepare for the lock down to be lifted around 14th April. Apparently the government have done some maths and have realised they cant afford it much after that! How true this is remains to be seen!
Well I for one can't see it being lifted or even relaxed until June, let alone by the end of the week!! Even longer if these twats treat this social distancing like an extended holiday. Makes a mockery of what us decent folk are doing.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

Tony McC
Site Admin

If they lift it too soon and all the morons start leaping about, hugging and kissing each other, the virus will be back with a vengeance. The lockdown won't be kept going a mnoment longer than absolutely necessary, but even if we do hot 'peak infection' over the Easter weekend, then it will be 4 weeks minimum before they even think about easing restrictions.

When you see all the bell-ends out in the park or at the beach, despite all they've been told, it make you immensely thankful for Natural Selection - nature's way of weeding out those unfit for survival.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

dig dug dan

For me, unless the schools go back, I am up the creek. The missus is the main breadwinner, and she cannot work from home, home school and deal with a 9 and 5 year old, it just didn't work. I can only work weekends and bank holidays and when she has time off. I think lots of people are in the same boat.
Amazingly, the enquiries continue!
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

wario

I’ll be glad to be back at work. This landscaping at home lark is a damn sight harder on the body than Plumbing!

Also laying a ‘simple’ patio is every bit as technical as installing an all signing, all dancing Bathroom! .........especially when you get you teeth into this excellent Paving Expert website!

michaelthegardener

other vans broke now :D ah well hopefully bits will come in the post soon ( nowhere open to buy em locally) an i can get back at it allthough if the halfwits get out this weekend it wouldnt suprise me if things get tighter an no one can get out to work

Tony McC
Site Admin

There's a lot of pressure on the government to keep smaller construction businesses functioning, even on a reduced scale, for as long as possible, so suppliers keep supplying and merchants keep merchanting. Many of the big firms rely on dozens of smaller firms to keep operating, and many of their projects are not easy to suspend, so they keep them ticking over as best they can with a virus-depleted workforce.

And then there's the treasury, not massively keen on paying brickies and groundworkers and plasterers 2.5K a month for sitting on their arses when they could be working....and many are, doing 'foreigners' for cash, giving 11 Downing St a double hit in the process: paying builders to be off work, and then missing out on the tax and VAT from residential projects.

They want us in work for as long as poss!

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

as in previous recessions the government is totally ambivalent to Construction,meanwhile the chattering middle class sit at their dinner parties bragging about how much they got Piot or Pawel to do their Patio for "cash- Darling"
The reality is that most of us are now eating our savings and the poor sods that do have to work "essential workers" Nurses policemen postmen delivery drivers etc. are infecting their families
the virus isnt spreading, people are spreading it!
We should have shut the chuffing airports at the start of March but too worried about the Precious "economy"
On the bright side ,some of our kids may be able to afford houses when all this is over
assuming they can get a job
<rant over>
stay home and stay safe
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

wario

I’ve had about 5 ‘friends’ on Facebook post ‘Happy Furlough day’ today.

Vulgar.

I’m sat at home not just not earning as I’m a company director, I’m also spending. A bit too much.

I’m spending my money locally though.

wario

Blimey I’m a Labourer now on the forum. Sounds about right at the moment.

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

promotion Wario !!
LLL :;):
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

wario

Probably not a good time to ask for a pay rise ;)

Tony McC
Site Admin

lutonlagerlout wrote:the government is totally ambivalent to Construction
Not really - they listen to their donors in the BIG construction companies, the sort of arseholes having only a 50/50 chance of picking up a shovel at the right end, who are telling them that to impose severe restrictions on the construction trade would adversely affect profits which would, in turn, directly impact how much there'd be available to put into certain politicians' pockets the next time they need a "lie, evade and bullshit" campaign to deceive the public.

Look at which companies donate how much and to which party, and it explains so, so much!

jwill

wario wrote:I’ve had about 5 ‘friends’ on Facebook post ‘Happy Furlough day’ today.

Vulgar.

I’m sat at home not just not earning as I’m a company director, I’m also spending. A bit too much.

I’m spending my money locally though.
I thought it was too much at first 80% but hopefully when restrictions lifted we get an economic boost because everyone has a bit of money in their pocket