Stuck at home - bored

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
DNgroundworks

Evening fellas,

I used to post here quite often, not so much these days. Wondering who's still around?

The new look home page looks brilliant Tony.

Im just finishing up a four year degree and with this coronavirus, brexit and an impending recession - getting a job is looking grim!

I am considering staying for an MSc, failing that i may have to dig the toolbox back out!

Bob_A

Certainly a lot quieter nowadays. I would post more but being a DIYer and not in the trade my input is limited:D

Tony McC
Site Admin

Things have moved on, as ever, with internet habits. Discussion forums are not as popular as they once were, with many people now using that FaceBook nonsense for these sorts of discussions, but I plan to keep the Brew Cabin going because it has such a valuable archive of information and it's always been an integral part of pavingexpert.

More than that, we have a new-look Brew Cabin 90% complete (largely thaks to the irreplacable IanMelb yet again!) so we're hoping that will be with us in the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, with more people being obliged to stay at home, we are seeing more visitors to both the Brew Cabin and the main website, and they are staying for longer - filling up their day, I suppose! So: every cloud, and all that....!

Stay safe, everyone......
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

dig dug dan

Not sure how all you guys are doing, but I seem to be busy. Busier than last year at this time, and no sign of this virus slowing anyone up, lots of people doing DIY at home wanting to hire the crusher for example.
I just hope we are all allowed to continue to work, and not forced into lockdown.
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Tony McC
Site Admin

Up until the last few days, it had been the busiest start to a year I can recall. Even in January and February I was working 7 day weeks when the norm would be 3-4 days and then fill the week with website and writing work.

I was thinking, on Sunday, as the golden sun thrummed in a cerulean sky, this would have been the weekend when it all kicked off, in a normal year, when the 'phone never stopped ringing, when the emails flooded in...and it's been surprisingly quiet. Most enquiries have been about whether it's safe to lay paving while they're off work when there's a virus doing the rounds!

Yes! Perfectly safe....if you can get the materials delivered! :D
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Dave_L
Site Admin

Well.....where do I start.....

2019 was a year we would rather forget. Feb 20th we lost our industrial premises to fire, all started by a Makita rechargeable battery sat on the workbench (not on charge) which decided to explode and catch fire at 8am on Feb 20th, taking the workshop area with it together with a lot of plant and equipment. A £40 battery resulted in a £500,000 insurance claim.

Anyway, the building was rebuilt, things got replaced and things got back to normal......then this bloody virus came along.

So, last night at 9pm after Boris' address to the nation, I've had to take the tough decision to close the business for the next 3 weeks at least but I am expecting 12 in reality.

Sad, sad times indeed when everybody needs to come together and work towards a common goal of delaying the spread of this wretched virus.

Stay safe everybody. Once i work out how to upload images here, I've got lots to show you but Photobucket want to charge me for storage now so I need to find an alternative!
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

Dave_L
Site Admin

Dave_L
Site Admin

After an 8 month rebuild, we were back in

Replaced the sadly departed Scania T Cab with a 450 P Series full tarmac spec drawbar 44tGTW tipper

Image[/url]

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

after the election and then brexit things started to come in,more enquiries and decent looking jobs,but this Colin "I wont call it the name= feck it) has dropped a daisy cutter on the building trade
All very well boris saying go to work,if people understandably dont want you in their house,what can you do?

we did a chimney removal last week and it was embarrassing not being able to shake hands or accept a cuppa from the elderly client,and that was an emergency and outdoors

I look forward to the new brewcabin Tony its good as it is ,but as we discussed if it were easier to post photies people would,
cheers LLL
and Bob A your input always welcome mate :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

wario

Busiest start to the year In the last 28 years for me. Not in the same business as some of you though. I’m in the Bathroom game but thought I’d post anyway to keep the momentum going.

Doing a patio at home at the moment. A lot of respect for you lot as I’ve dug it all out by hand. 45 square metres. Just need a wacker now and a lot of type 1.

What should I expect to pay for type 1? One guy quoted me £20 per tonne if he came to pick up the soil at the same time for £200. I thought that was a bit cheap!!

Dave_L
Site Admin

wario wrote:What should I expect to pay for type 1? One guy quoted me £20 per tonne if he came to pick up the soil at the same time for £200. I thought that was a bit cheap!!
If its proper type 1 and not recycled rubbish then I'd bite his hand off at that rate!

wario

That’s the problem, I have no idea what the difference is. It’s a guy with a grabber lorry, he dumps the type 1 off then pick up the soil. When I have several tonnes sat on my drive, might be a bit late for him to take it back.

I’m pretty much in the same boat with a Plate compactor. Not my area of expertise :(

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

compactor as heavy as possible ~85kg
20 a tonne seems cheap but depends where you are, we usually buy it by the metre3 around £50+VAT
LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

wario

Cheers gents. Have a budget of about £300 for a wacker. I’d rather buy and then sell on. Might be a bit lower than 85kg at 75kg, the types I’m looking at.

bobbi o

Dave_L wrote:Image

New Paver ?