Obsessive, compulsive tool buying disorder

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
seanandruby
Site Admin

Like the boss i to collect old vintage tools.
I'm from an era that actually used thise lamps
I had to clean them, fill them, hang them on the lamp irons and the old watchman would refill if the need arose. We had the heavy red and white wooden horses for trench barriers.
sean

digerjones

seanandruby wrote:Like most guys my shed is full of tools that go unused. I buy and sell a lot of vintage tools and never buy new hand tools to use at work. I only buy things that will earn a living ( vehicles to ) use it or sell it, don't buy for hanging on a nail in the shed ???
You said you buy stuff to hang on a nail in the shed, that's why I asked the question.
I am letting tony have one as payment for creating this site.
Hadn't thought of selling them, where abouts are you and what are they worth.
Dylan
dylan

seanandruby
Site Admin

It says: " don't buy to hang on a nail in shed." Tony created it but we help sustain it by answering questions :;):
Sussex.
sean

Tony McC
Site Admin

This part of the site wouldn't exist were it not for all the work you lads (and a few lasses) have put into it over the tyears, especially during those periods when my health or my workload has kept me away for longer than I would like. I am supremely aware of how indebted to you I am....and I like to think I pay it back, at least partially, by providing advice and guidance both here in the Brew Cabin, and behind the scenes by email, phone calls and face-to-face meetings, and the occasional bit of humour and entertainment.

Are you around tomorrow (Thursday) Dylan? I have to go out to Birkenhead but could wander back along the scenic route if that suits you? It would be early afternoon, I imagine.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

digerjones

Have pm'ed you tony.
dylan

Tony McC
Site Admin

Great to meet up with you on Sunday, and have a good nosey around your sheds. Thanks ever so much!

Here's the picture I mentioned - a display of old road-working tools put on at Streetworks in 2015. I have many of these in one of my sheds.

The road lamp will now take pride of place on the patio this summer. Might put a few drops of citronella in with the paraffin to fend off the midges!

Site Agent - Pavingexpert