Stonebuilt - Stone cut outs

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
grumpygramps-2007

moved into a two hundred year old cottage recently and the mrs asked me to build a low garden wall using the stone from the cottage next door which is basically amound of rubble.all went tickerty boo with the wall but I noticed quite a few lumps of stone which chiselled cutouts on the which I can only describe as a blunt hook. I was wondering if these are a earlytype of wall tie, there very randon in size so I have no clue as to what they did in the wall but the time taken to do must have been worth it. the house was a stone outer with stone inner & rubble center, nobody I,ve asked has a clue. cheers gramps.

digerjones

Pictures would help, where in the world are you?
dylan

seanandruby
Site Admin

digerjones wrote:Pictures would help, where in the world are you?
Scotland i bet :;): :)
sean

seanandruby
Site Admin

grumpygramps-2007 wrote:moved into a two hundred year old cottage recently and the mrs asked me to build a low garden wall using the stone from the cottage next door which is basically amound of rubble.all went tickerty boo with the wall but I noticed quite a few lumps of stone which chiselled cutouts on the which I can only describe as a blunt hook. I was wondering if these are a earlytype of wall tie, there very randon in size so I have no clue as to what they did in the wall but the time taken to do must have been worth it. the house was a stone outer with stone inner & rubble center, nobody I,ve asked has a clue. cheers gramps.
It sounds like scutched out stone to anchor the stone in and help against movement. Old stonemasons tool we used to cut flagstones with back in the day. Hope this helps grumpy :laugh:
sean

grumpygramps-2007

yep its sunny Scotland. I,am a scouser living in the middle of no where. no internet no mobile so waiting for a landline to return to normal.thanks for the help so I,am looking for any info on how to buil dthese outbuilings as I fancy doing up some for a garage but keeping looking rural.have to drive gramps15miles to nearest town to get a signal but still loven it.

seanandruby
Site Admin

There's plenty of information on line if you google it. Stone built construction etc: there are various techniques, to much information for posting on here.
sean