What i did on my holidays - By ian age 41 1/4

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

you are an engineer arent you ian?
lol
7m timber is available but you have to order it in,i can get up to 9 m lengths but normally the longest we use is 7.5M on hips
what size rafters are you using?
i am doing my bar at home and i pitched the roof yesterday ,i used a load of recycled 6 by 2 s and set them at 300mm centres
as i told missus LLL" it wont fall down"
cheers LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

IanMelb
Site Admin

you are an engineer arent you ian?

Bugger, it was the socks and sandals that gave it away, wasn't it?

what size rafters are you using?

My next door neighbour (an architechnician) reckons I can get away with 4x2's (2400 length) at 60cm centres providing that I use a bit of A-frame trussing and don't go overboard on the roofing. The pitch is about 25 degrees.

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

whats going on top?
if its tiles the centres need to be more like 400 mm
cheers LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

IanMelb
Site Admin

18mm OSB, one layer of felt then (when funds available) felt shingles on the felt roll

IanMelb
Site Admin

Now for the roofing ...

Actually, I'm going to add a few cross-members before I start clambering up there with the OSB ...

IanMelb
Site Admin

Half board :-) -

Cross member trussing - front, middle and rear (more to be added later) -

Middle truss -

Some protection from the forthcoming rain -

IanMelb
Site Admin

Didn't get as much done today as I would've liked dues to the fact that the morning was given over to being a member of the work party tasked with digging out and terraming/barking the village play area :o On the hottest day of the summer too!

Still:

Full Board :-) -

New use for reinforcing mesh? (Clamped to the roof to provide weight spread and grip/purchase for feet) -

DPM along the ridge for a bit of extra protection. -

nelly05

You will be living in it soon fella.

LOL. Plenty of time spent in there hiding away.

Looks quality m8

Regards
Thankyou

Suggers

Lookin' good Ian - have you seen this site?
We Love Sheds
"Meet the new boss - same as the old boss - We all get fooled again"

IanMelb
Site Admin

Lookin' good Ian - have you seen this site?

Yeah, I've had a quick peruse in there - there's some 'interesting' structures - I cannot believe the amount of 'TARDIS' sheds!

Latest stage, first layer of felt on so now it's reasonably waterproof from above ...

matt h

the way yr going you could move in easy!:D better fit a call system in cos you'll be spending a fair time in there no doubt and her indoors will need to have some means of dragging you out:D
general builder, maintenance engineer, gas and plumbing installations, extensions etc

IanMelb
Site Admin

Yeah, coz when I'm down there I *really* want to be contactabale/naggable ...

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

i'll post a picture of my bar/shed in progress ian,its not anywhere near as posh as yours (got all the stuff out of skips) but it keep the rain off
LLL :)

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

IanMelb
Site Admin

i'll post a picture of my bar/shed in progress ian,its not anywhere near as posh as yours but it keep the rain off

Cheers, I'd like to see that

(got all the stuff out of skips)

I'm quite pleased that a lot of the stuff I've used has either been salvaged or found at a knock down price.

The only stuff I've paid 'full' price for so far is the type1, concrete and mortar (and screwfix screws and nails)

I've now get to get up to Newcastle to bring a pack of 12mm pressure treated T&G to go round the outside and I'm in negotiations with some folks in Goole for some Kingspan seconds.

So far it's all cost me just shy of a grand. I reckon by the time it's done it'll be closer to 1.5-2, but that's with the expensive stuff like electrics (Part P :( boo, hiss), insulation and roofing shingles (NB, the cheapest I can find these seems to be Wickes with these - anyone seen any cheaper?)

IanMelb
Site Admin

I know that many of you have been having sleepless nights wondering how I've been getting on :) - so here's the latest update. I've clad the whole structure with 1/2 inch pressure treated T&G, glazed all the windows, hung a reclaimed hardwood door (making the place look like a glorified wendy house) and butted that up to half door which I may glaze in the future. I've also filled (in-filled, back-filled ??) the trench around the pad with pea gravel off our driveway (going to replace the drive stuff with 20mm). I've also taken delivery of a whole load of rockwool bats to insulate the walls (an insulation company near us had an overun of stuff they didn't need so I saved myself another 100 quid or so there). I've got the roof shingles from Wickes but want to beef up the roof joists before I fix them.