What i did on my holidays - By ian age 41 1/4

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
IanMelb
Site Admin

seanandruby wrote:You skimping on the bedding layer? tut tut ???
Damn right!

It's a kind of protest - I'd rather have been attaching guttering and water butts to the shed

I reckon it's a good 60-70% chance that this thing is going to be moved again - maybe to somewhere where people will be walking on it *then* I'll give it the full type1 treatment. As it is, I had loads of rubble that I would have had to lug to the tip otherwise ...

matt h

no peace for the wicked eh:D
general builder, maintenance engineer, gas and plumbing installations, extensions etc

IanMelb
Site Admin

My morning's work - 125kg of 8:1 semi-dry mix and the circle set and levelled (with a slight fall). Once it's gone off we can dig the hole out in the middle and plant the tree.

Suggers

Bugger - I think I might have dug me hole first Ian ? - want any of my mum's 30 yr old compost?
"Meet the new boss - same as the old boss - We all get fooled again"

IanMelb
Site Admin

I reckon that if I'd dug the hole first and planted the tree then I'd end up knocking the thing over with the wacker plate. If I'd dug the hole and not planted the tree then all my sub base and dry mix would probably have collapsed in to it.

I must admit to only having a very thin layer of rubble/sub base in the middle (planned) - it should come up quite easy (famous last words)

Mikey_C

did you knock up your 8:1 using that cretebag thing or have you got a mixer yet, now you got a shed(read small dwelling) to store it in?

Personally I would hardly dig out the hole in the middle that way tree will die sooner and you can claim unsuitable ground and fill the circle in bring the job to complete.

seanandruby
Site Admin

Think i would have either the tree, or the patio, not both. seems like a lot of hard work coming your way.
sean

IanMelb
Site Admin

Yeah, but you're not married to my Mrs :D , still, managed to get the thing done this morning before the sun got too hot. Also managed to start a bit of scaping around it - maybe now I can have some peace ...

Suggers

Ian, forgot to add my congrats with all the others - whole project's been brill light relief from all the serious stuff on here.
Can I have some of your energy please ?
"Meet the new boss - same as the old boss - We all get fooled again"

IanMelb
Site Admin

>did you knock up your 8:1 using that cretebag thing or have you got a mixer yet

That cretebag thing's been a godsend - can knock up 30kg at a time - just right for this small scale stuff - no mess, no fuss and just fold it away at the end.

IanMelb
Site Admin

>Ian, forgot to add my congrats with all the others - whole project's been brill light relief from all the serious stuff on here.

Cheers :D - I wish the whole project would have gone a bit quicker mind ...

> Can I have some of your energy please ?

Ha! If I told the SO that she'd be in stitches. I've got me feet up at the mo watching her jetwash the patio!

seanandruby
Site Admin

IanMelb wrote:Yeah, but you're not married to my Mrs :D ,

]
we all have one like yours m8. a mans shed and surrounding area is his castle ( if they let us a? ) good job tho.
sean

IanMelb
Site Admin

IanMelb wrote:Took 4 days off work this week to make a start on my new shed. I thought I'd learn the value of doing things the 'manual' way rather than having a go with a mini digger. I'm now wondering whether I'm just a bit mad (a-wibble) and that someone created mini-excavators and dumper trucks for a reason ...

Shovelled and barrowed 8 tonnes of Type1 (£16/tonne delivered) from front to back:

Shovelled and barrowed 6000 x 4500 x 400 mm of soil from the new building site.

Probably a good thing I didn't hire an excavator, if I was using one then it may have been on its side after trying to remove this large length of rebar that seems to be driven a metre or so into the ground (it don't want to come out, so I'll get the angle grinder to it)

I'm quite proud of it all really - normally I'm stuck behind a keyboard. The last time I shovelled this much s--t was around 20 years ago whilst working for a Steel foundry (Blackett & Hutton in Guisborough) during its summer fortnight shutdown (that's the time when we had to clear all the year's moulding sand out of the furnace areas and other locations)

Hey ho, now for the 100mm of sub-grade and the 100mm of C20...
Bloody hell, I started my Shed just over 10 years ago! :-O

digerjones

So where's the picture of the shed, Ian.
dylan

seanandruby
Site Admin

...fuuuuck that flew by.
Digger if you go to the back posts there are loads of shed photo's. Was a great job and posting.
sean